What did you do in the garden today?

I decided I like the idea of sowing sunflowers for my chickens and to see if they might grow. They wouldn't be wasted either way, but I was thinking about if they might germinate better if I soak them for a while. Any opinions? Also- anybody know how they do in very sandy soil?
They do fine direct sowed . No need to soak .

Well I got the duck pool cleaned out and refilled. I rigged up a temporary shade/roof over it because the tree stuff makes a big mess. I need something more rugged for long term but it does help cool it down in there a bit. This should help with algae buildup as well. This area typically gets some major sun on summer afternoons despite the tree. We have to keep it trimmed because of the door. I’d really like another door at the short end but I haven’t convinced hubs of that yet.
5A0C4482-A021-45EC-B769-4E7FD37330C4.jpeg

It does appear, @BReeder! that it is your hot peppers that are tiny, so it may be that hot peppers start more slowly. My peppers are pokey, and I think the hot ones are more so.

I think a couple of my marigolds have sprouted! It's supposed to cool off quite a bit here. But as long as we get a bit of sunshine, the green house will stay warm enough.

I'm growing my own berries but, with the exception of strawberries, none of them will be fruiting until next year. I just can't believe how much the price has gone up! I'm wondering if it is because the price of gas has increased....
maybe why they went up there but have been the prices here over a couple years

Last night, I checked my starters to see if they need water. No green. Today? :lol: The tomatoes are up, and the peppers are pushing through too.
My rhubarb is starting to come up. I’m anxious to see what happens after a rotten jerk “did me a favor” by cutting my grass when I said to stay away. The damage was pretty bad. Poor bunnies. Poor clothes line. Poor rhubarb and mint.

Today I got some stones put out to edge the front flower beds. Hopefully that will help kiddos remember not to play in there. Hopefully. Trying to psych myself up to put up the fence around the beds out back to keep the chickens out. But I'm not feeling very psyched.

Edited: I did put it up! It's just a short little 1 foot tall decorative fence, but thinking maybe will keep my lazy chickens out since none of the plants in there taste good to them. It probably won't work, but we'll see. They are EXTREMELY lazy, so there's hope.

Last edited:
But you do have a great idea to keep kids and chickens out..
Our fence around the garden is 6 ft welded wire
I'll likely need to do that around the blueberries, but the rest of the food/chickens-eat-these-flowers plant varieties are out front. So hoping a short little fence will just direct them away from the dahlias and gladiolus. 🤷‍♀️

got nothing else done today except a 2 hour trip to the hardware store took 4 hours.
Thumb hurt so badly all day, I was on edge of tears all day.

Will be moving some non tender things to the greenhouse tomorrow as well as some back mat and some black thermal buckets for water. Going to be near freezing on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Back
Top Bottom