What did you do in the garden today?

My sole garden achievement today was to yank out the Fig (Chicago Hardy variety) from where it was planted 2 seasons ago. Oh, yes, those roots went farther than expected. It was near our foundation, but luckily the roots went mostly away from and parallel to the foundation bc less water near the foundation, I suppose. And, only 1.5 or so years of growth in that spot. Will the few remaining roots create sprouts? I got out the whole root ball and vast majority of roots, but two thicker roots extended beyond my hole that I dug to remove it.

I would cry if I found a snake in my coop! OMG NOOOOO! We've been talking about where we want to retire, I guess I need to add no snakes to my requirement. I didn't realize how lucky I am with the very shy snakes we have here in CT.

Good tip on the lavender @chickengr. I'll try that if I replace my dead one this year.

I can't wait till the stores get plants in, I need 3 rhubarbs.

Culled my sick girl last night. I tried but I couldn't fix her. No more production types ever again - that's 3 out of 8 so far gone to reproductive issues. She made it the longest - 3 years. :rolleyes:

sorry you had to cull her. I made the same decision about production chickens except black sex link hens. they prooved to be tough, at least in my climate. I now have 1 pullet named muddy. when I had ducks she used to escape to the duck's run and learned to scratch mud, lol. the ducks are gone (to my friends) but muddy still finds a way to spill water and play in mud:lau

If you're like me, you need to retrace ALL your steps and check all the weird places. Did you get a cold drink? Check the fridge - including the freezer and top of the fridge. Did you have anything on with pockets? Go check the pockets. Did you go take a shower? Check the entire bathroom. Did you get out clothes on the way to the shower? Check the dresser/wardrobe/closet shelves. Did you go plug in your phone? Check all surfaces between the door and that location.

Also check the railings, etc, you may have set it on on the way inside. And next to where you did planting outside. And the car. My stuff teleports into the car sometimes.

Maybe you already did that, but I have found some items in WEIRD places doing that method. Keys in the freezer, wallet on the shampoo shelf, etc etc.

sounds like me, lol.

My sole garden achievement today was to yank out the Fig (Chicago Hardy variety) from where it was planted 2 seasons ago. Oh, yes, those roots went farther than expected. It was near our foundation, but luckily the roots went mostly away from and parallel to the foundation bc less water near the foundation, I suppose. And, only 1.5 or so years of growth in that spot. Will the few remaining roots create sprouts? I got out the whole root ball and vast majority of roots, but two thicker roots extended beyond my hole that I dug to remove it.
I'm glad you got it out now then, that's quick to spread! I don't believe the roots will produce shoots.

sorry you had to cull her. I made the same decision about production chickens except black sex link hens. they prooved to be tough, at least in my climate. I now have 1 pullet named muddy. when I had ducks she used to escape to the duck's run and learned to scratch mud, lol. the ducks are gone (to my friends) but muddy still finds a way to spill water and play in mud:lau
Haha, Muddy - cute story. I still have 3 reds left, hopefully they fare better.

@WthrLady - what allergy med has an NSAID in it? I'm curious because I take tons of allergy meds AND an NSAID - don't want to be doubling up on that! I don't trust that the pharmacist would catch it. (I tried to Google it but didn't find anything)

Supposed to rain today & turn to snow overnight. I don't know if it's all hype or if we will actually see snow. I think I'll put the cold frame back on the lettuce & keep it a little warmer. I'm so gun shy of those panels because of my toe! I still can't wear a shoe.

I dug out the dahlia bulbs & I was right, I killed half of them. Oops. I don't think I'll buy anymore to replace them. Of course as I say that I'm missing them already.

More cayenne coming up & I think 2 more habaneros too! Once this cold spell is over I'm going to start hardening everything off. It's nice to work from home so I can actually do it.

I'm glad you got it out now then, that's quick to spread! I don't believe the roots will produce shoots.
Yes, one of the roots required an ax to cut through. I can’t imagine trying to take out an older one!
NSAID in it? I'm curious because I take tons of allergy meds AND an NSAID - don't want to be doubling up on that! I don't trust that the pharmacist would catch it.
if you have scrips then tell the pharmacist what over the counter items you are taking. The Pharmacist won’t catch the overlap on over the counter if you don’t tell them!

an NSAID is “non sterioidal anti-inflammatory drug” so, Ibuprofen is an NSAID, but acetaminophen is not bc it does not have anti-inflammatory properties. Anyway, I’m not a pharmacist or medical person, so that’s the extent if my “expertise” on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom