What did you do in the garden today?

Picked up a garden scoot for $30 of CL a vintage late 70's early 80s model is what I was told.. We like it.. The fig tree's have about a foot of new growth.. Figs, natures candy, OH so good..
20210417_094605.jpg
20210417_094515.jpg
20210415_193811.jpg

We have had wonderful weather today. The snow in front of the greenhouse are gone. So while tidying up in the barn and other things, I let out the chickens. They had to convinced that it was ok to walk through the door 😅
But then they found a paradise and was clucking, sunbathing and picking .
20210417_150350.jpg

Then I sowed two rows with radishes in the greenhouse and let the cabbage plants get some sun. I have to carry them in and out for many weeks yet, because there will be frosty nights for at least 5-6 weeks more.
20210417_131911.jpg

The spinach and salad I sowed march 10th are growing fine.
20210417_131856.jpg

Last edited:
I got a ton done today, just in time to watch the Ultra4 race.

I up potted the 2 different cukes & the squash. I put the dill starts in their pot outside, & planted the rosemary & thyme. Got the compost stirred & got the strawberry beds fertilized. Moved a bunch of stuff outside, the fig is back out & a couple house plants too. Considering planting the pepper starts under a cold frame...I'm just scared I will cook them but I'll probably go for it. I'm sick of all the starts in the house! If I do the peppers I can turn off the grow lights. Ok, I just convinced myself. :gig

Well, the garden is covered in snow again. It came down pretty darn good yesterday and it hasn't melted off yet today. I'm not inclined to try separating and potting up the basil indoors. Between toddler and cats I just don't see that ending well. Haha!

Ah well, it'll get done eventually. Although I'm quite ready for spring to get here and stay here instead of this loopy up and down nonsense.

I weeded the two new raised beds I made last fall. The area was a patch of alfalfa, so I'm still fighting with that. Man, those roots go deep! I also added a little length on one end. By my pacing, I estimate they are 18 feet long. They're for my short season, determinate tomatoes.

I need to get out my frost sheets to cover the strawberries. There don't seem to be any flowers that I can see, but we're going to get nights in the upper 20s-low 30s for the next week or so.

I also did the first turning on my mostly chicken bedding compost pile.

Now that I've sat for a few minutes, my arms are telling me how hard they worked today. Good. They were pretty lazy this last winter.

Concerning news regarding a rabbit hemorrhagic disease that is showing up in Oregon now. Apparently it is affecting both feral and domestic rabbits. Scary stuff.
Very scary and no approved vaccine in the US. I guess there's one in France and Spain but it hasn't been approved for the US yet. Cupcake just had 6 or 7 kits last night, we were hoping for a double header but Clover hasn't obliged us. Maybe tonight.
They had to convinced that it was ok to walk through the door 😅
But then they found a paradise and was clucking, sunbathing and picking .
Mine took a little convincing too. I had 6 of my 10 ladies out in the yard today and it is so fun to see them poking around and eating clover, bugs, and grass seed heads. One of them demonstrated her snail hunting abilities like a champ, if they'll all get that good they can spend more time loose around the raised beds.

Still no Early Girl seed sprouts nor Jimmy Nardello Peppers. Fortunately, both are fairly common plants to find in nurseries. The purple cone flower seeds are sprouting but not the sage or the Buffalo Steak tomatoes. Only down to 45 last night outside so maybe my more reluctant seeds will get busy soon.

The area was a patch of alfalfa, so I'm still fighting with that. Man, those roots go deep!
I might be wrong here but I don't think you want to pull the alfalfa roots, just cut them to the ground and till them under. They're supposed to be a nitrogen fixer I think. I'm betting @WthrLady or some of the others here will know for sure.

Alfalfa can go down 10 feet. It's a persistent bugger.
And yes, it is a legume family, so it is a nitrogen fixer, but it is also a water hog, so you have to determine if you want it in your way or not. Totally up to you, obviously. It takes about 3 years of beating at the roots and sprouts for it to give up. It does get small each year with each beating.

Turkey hunters are gone now. I went and got the last of my chick supplies and started lockdown. I think I’m going to make make covers for the strawberry plants and maybe weed a row of the garden before I gets dark. I managed to make it home from TSC without chicks so I treated myself to ice cream and a basket of strawberry from the farm down the road.

Back
Top Bottom