What did you do in the garden today?

I still won't plant a cover crop again.
Last year we planted Rye and winter peas as cover. Probably won’t plant a “grass” as cover again-roots are hard to break up. Also, we could have turned it over earlier, I suppose, but grasses have more extensive roots. But the peas were good and don’t csuse any problems.

In another bed we used yellow clover as cover. It worked well - spread seed in spring, tilled under by June/July. But this was in the big bed that can be tilled with big tiller. We still get small clover plants at the edge, but we pick them for the chickens, so they don’t go to seed.

Good morning gardeners. It's currently 54F and sunny forecasted to be in the mid to high 60's today. So confusing, with all the warm temps this week, even approaching 70F there is still frost forecasted for Wednesday. Good grief. I got the large garden bed in the backyard cleaned out yesterday. There were a lot of leaves and pine cones too. Today is laundry day, but I will try to get the soil amendments put in that bed today. I need to get the corn planted. I still have weeds under the plastic I put down, however it's not been all that warm yet. Perhaps some will burn away this week. My curly kale seedlings survived the snow storm and will need to be thinned soon. I thinned the arugula again yesterday. I think I will need to plant the squash and zucchini plants next week as they are getting really big in their pots. The tomatoes can wait another week or two. I don't use as much dill as you @Sueby so I think two medium size pots should be enough for the dill. So planting them have is on my "list of things to do" for the day.

Winds are howling, and it's currently 38 degrees. Three days of snow flurries and sub zero nights before we start climbing towards 80 next Monday.

Getting ornamental corn planted in peat pots today for the sale in May.

Paying now for the burn barrel and being out in the wind and pollen yesterday, stuffy sinus and blurry eyebulbs. LOL.

I'd LIKE to go out and just play hooky today, but no idea what I'd go get into. So here I am.

What did you do in your garden today?

I picked a bunch of Rattlesnake green beans and Cherokee wax beans, a few tomatoes, three eggplants, some broccoli shoots, and jalapenos. Pretty happy with today's harvest!
thumbsup.gif
I saw my chickens trying to eat a decaying squirrel so I picked the squirrel up with a stick and threw it away.

Last edited:
I don't know @WthrLady, they say New England weather is whacky, but I think Nebraska has us beat!

I'm going to try for the squash next week too @Wee Farmer Sarah. & hopefully I can uncover the beans too. I knew it wouldn't be a good idea to do bush beans & lettuce under the same cold frame & I was so right! But the cold frames were a late arrival gift & the lettuce was already planted. Oh well.

I did some damage to some fig leaves, not sure if it was the shock of moving outside or the snow, but a few are toast. It'll be fine. That pot is too big to move it in & out so it has to deal with it.

Last edited:
52F and rain today. Not much getting done outside. I'll water plants indoors and check on seedling development.

Getting a touch a snow tomorrow followed by rain and then a low of 29F and a low of 27 Wednesday (frost for sure). The rest of the week is sunny and we climb up to 74F by next Tuesday. Mother nature needs to straighten our her attitude.

Back
Top Bottom