What did you do in the garden today?

I have bigger problems if it's either of those here in CT! :gig

I'm really leaning toward skunk, but I have no idea how it could have gotten into the garden.
Lol didn’t realize you were in Connecticut.
Don’t jinx yourself though Vermont and New Hampshire both have populations of wild hogs as of 2015.
They are a big problem here in the south. Our area just legalized night hunting of them to try to control the population. Not that people haven’t been doing it for years lol. The most of game wardens didn’t care as long as you could prove you were hunting hogs because of how much damage they cause.

I have a lot to catch up on but I just wanted to say that some little critter is going to meet it's demise very shortly - something tore up my garden, dug up all the dill & parsley, half my onions, half of my pole beans & some of my bush beans. It went through the garlic too, but that's big enough that it was fine. It was a busy critter, I saw the holes all around down by the coop, then when I went into the garden I almost lost my mind. Looks like it was digging for grubs or worms, it didn't eat any of the garden stuff it dug up, it just tore it up & left it to die.

I'm going to set up the have a heart trap in the garden & then shoot whatever I catch. :gig :gig :gig I'm so mad. :mad: But man I hope it's not a skunk! I don't know how to dispatch that one without getting sprayed. :idunno
From across the yard with a firearm

DW helped me construct a tunnel out of remesh (concrete reinforcement wire mesh) for some of our cucumbers. It's easily 7ft tall and 5ft long. It's going to be neat to see cucumbers hanging from this in a few months.
I bought some remesh a couple weeks ago to use for tomato cages but now I'm tempted to use it for the cucumbers. That looks great!
I'm so mad. :mad: But man I hope it's not a skunk! I don't know how to dispatch that one without getting sprayed. :idunno
We had to dispatch a skunk a couple years back and it wasn't pretty. I double bagged it and the trash can still stunk for about 6 months afterward.
Currently a sweaty betty after trimming cover crop, planting out more peppers, herbs, and flowers. I'm hitting that point where I need to give away the rest of my starters, totally running out of room and they need to get in the ground.
I'm with you, those seedlings I was tending so lovingly a couple weeks ago are now wiggling their roots in my face and smirking at me.

So I got the first jalapeno pepper moved out of the greenhouse and into a huge pot with all the tasty manure and dried fish fertilizer if could possibly want. Repotted two big cloth bags with freshened soil and strawberry plants. Got another bag planted with potatoes, and the first determinant tomato planted in the raised beds, I need to get at least 3 or 4 more put in later today when it's a little cooler. It's supposed to rain tomorrow which would be very nice.

Oh and my new glasses arrived yesterday and I was so excited. One pair for computer work and the other for normal getting about. The computer ones are great and look nice on me too boot, but the regular glasses are terrible. The fitter asked me to give them a couple days so my eyes could adjust but I could only see clearly to at most 10' away. I called this morning to tell them they were no better and to ask if there was maybe a mistake on the prescription. Turns out there was and they are sending for new lenses and I was too relieved to be mad. I was afraid my eyes were too old and bad for glasses to work anymore so bad prescription was by far a happier outcome.

Warm during the day, cold at night. I'm playing plant shuffle. My potted strawberry runner and basil come in at night and go back out in the morning. Garlic is about a foot tall now, last year's chives have come back with a vengeance, as has last year's tarragon. The thyme in the garden is struggling, but starting to show more and more green despite our snow.

Meanwhile, still getting ready for the move. I've limited myself to having only so many potted pants as will fit in one tray. Make things a bit easier that way.

The potatoes are coming up. One of them is “Blackberry” a deep purple potato. It’s coming up purple too! Here it is:
70900893-1328-44B5-A01C-FB338CC97063.jpeg

Here is one of the “regular” potatoes - so green!
983B0043-3E6E-4E9B-B7CB-54205B15886A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom