What did you do in the garden today?

@igorsMistress, your garden looks so good! and those ducks are so sweet! I looked longingly at the baby ducks at the feed store today.

So, "what are you doing at the feed store?" you might ask. A valid question I must say... Okay so I was looking at our flock and Bitey just does not want to break brooding, the giant EE won't lay, the SS are beautiful to look at but not good layers, and now Dotty is threatening to go broody as well. So we went to the feed store and got 2 barred rocks, 2 delawares, 2 black australorps, and 2 tiny blue sapphire that DP wanted to try putting under Bitey. I told her that Bitey probably isn't a proper broody and will likely kill them in the morning and I realized I'd already decided to get up at o'dark thirty and try to be there when she wakes up. I'm pretty sure that one way or another (assuming I get them out alive) they'll be put in with the other new littles. Right now they're all sleeping under the mama hen plate and very content sounding. We got them for 2 bucks a piece (all but the tinys are about 2 weeks old) I'll get pictures later. Funny how chicken math works, eh? :idunno :gig
Oh, I would love pics. Living chicken math vicariously through others. Also, spring always brings baby fever.

Good morning and Happy Mother’s Day.

it’s a cold and soggy day here. Rain all day..lots of it. Woke up to much standing water and flowing streams already! Won’t break 50F today, so turned on the pellet stove.

We are working on improving the fence for the chicken run. Got the south side done bc we want to plant some gourds on that side for shade, and didn’t want the holes to get completely filled with water today.

no gardening today.
Yep....I'm vacationing in the NE corner of Indiana. It has rained all night & day. My MIL's driveway is flooded shut. We are hoping it goes down by tomorrow so we can head back to Arkansas.

If it would stop raining for an hour, we'd go back outside to look for more mushrooms.... Pretty sure the cold isn't doing them any favors.

my 18 yo dishwasher does not take water (probably the pump died). I open the door, pour warm water with a bowl, close the door and it works. for rinsing I repeat. as I hope to move to my new place soon I do not intend to get a new dishwasher here.
My 30++ yo dishwasher did that two years ago. Now I dump in a gallon of water at the beginning of each of the 4 cycles. At first it was a PITA, but now I get all the kitchen clean up chores done while I'm waiting for the cycles. And if by some magic, there aren't any extra chores, I read. I'm in NO hurry to get a new dishwasher!

Yep....I'm vacationing in the NE corner of Indiana. It has rained all night & day. My MIL's driveway is flooded shut. We are hoping it goes down by tomorrow so we can head back to Arkansas.

If it would stop raining for an hour, we'd go back outside to look for more mushrooms.... Pretty sure the cold isn't doing them any favors.
Yes, we got a lot of rain, but in NE IN looks like it got heavier rain than here - the radar looked like more intense rain/thunderstorms just north of us. Looks like it might be over with now..a couple hours earlier than expected! So, I’m sure by tomorrow the driveway will be clear for you!

we’ve found some great mushroom in cool and wet weather (or in the few days following). A few years ago kid was doing a section on mushrooms for school/science, so we went to the large park nearby for a walk. We took pics of all the different mushrooms we found -it was A LOT! We even found “dead man’s fingers”, then we collected some mushroom tops to get the spore print (leave them on paper for x time) -it was interesting to see the prints (dropped spores).

Good afternoon. It’s toasty outside! There’s a breeze though so I got some weeding done in the Amazon portion of the yard. The shade garden was so out of control I was almost embarrassed to even look at it. The tall weeds are out and I have a pile of cardboard out there. I’m going to pull the rest of the weeds a section at a time this week, add more cardboard and cover with straw. One of the elephant ears is doing great but the other is struggling. I’m thinking too much shade from the West and am prepping to make some changes to alleviate that.

My 30++ yo dishwasher did that two years ago. Now I dump in a gallon of water at the beginning of each of the 4 cycles. At first it was a PITA, but now I get all the kitchen clean up chores done while I'm waiting for the cycles. And if by some magic, there aren't any extra chores, I read. I'm in NO hurry to get a new dishwasher!

:idunno Sounds like more work to me than just washing the dishes by hand. But if it works for you, good enough.

My mother used to wash (not just rinse off) all the dishes by hand, then put them in the dishwasher, then wash them in the dishwasher. Drove me crazy. Worse yet, she insisted on using the heat drying cycle. The combination of washing clean dishes and heating them up to dry off in the dishwasher stained the dishes. I still don't understand why she did that. And if the dishwasher died, she was miserable until it was replaced.

Oh, I would love pics. Living chicken math vicariously through others. Also, spring always brings baby fever.
I hear you, I'm torn between the madness of more chickens and the love of the tiny peepers. Here's the first not very good pic, I'll be taking individual pics later to make naming easier (not cuz we already love the little poopers, oh not at all :))
20210508_192403.jpg

And here's some garden pics:
20210509_101954.jpg

That's Lucy, she's 17 and doing pretty good for her age.

20210509_102000.jpg

Heh, she got in both pics.

20210509_102027.jpg

20210509_102051.jpg

So pleased with the garden, it's just going nuts.

Had a great day I succumbed to tomato plant math! 4 pack at the local nursery was 3.99! Same as those single plants at WM . Ok a little smaller but got some sauceilicious, homesteak #24, old fashioned Goliath,and 1 lone Rutgers. I'm trying new ones out this year. Then dear hubby took me for prime rib! Yum this am at church they gave out potted begonias! Happy Mother's Day

Back
Top Bottom