What did you do in the garden today?

@igorsMistress, love those contented duck sounds, the ones the chicks make are so sweet too. The littles got tiny meal worms and cooked egg yolk yesterday and now they all come running when I put my hand in the brooder.

We used to get a few cicadas in Portland when I was a kid but I only saw one or two in my whole life. You could still sure hear them in the hottest part of the summer though.

Not any real accumulation, but it looks like it misted here a good bit of the night. Wet and chilly outside so my shoes and socks are soaked. I did get to do one of my favorite things though, my white icicle radishes are big enough to eat now so I get to graze a bit while I'm outside. I get the roots and the rabbits get the leaves, too early for snap peas but there's lots of blooms so it won't be long. I've started harvesting the various greens in the beds to make room for the tomatoes, but I miss judged how fast the garlic and shallots would be ready to pull. I'll just pull as little as I can for now and pull more as the tomatoes require more room.

Going to take our two geriatric dogs to the vets for their final trip. They both have various health issues and we wouldn't be doing them any favors by waiting any longer. They had good long lives and were good dogs.
😢so sorry about your dogs. I know this is a tough day for you. May God give you peace and comfort

@igorsMistress, love those contented duck sounds, the ones the chicks make are so sweet too. The littles got tiny meal worms and cooked egg yolk yesterday and now they all come running when I put my hand in the brooder.

We used to get a few cicadas in Portland when I was a kid but I only saw one or two in my whole life. You could still sure hear them in the hottest part of the summer though.

Not any real accumulation, but it looks like it misted here a good bit of the night. Wet and chilly outside so my shoes and socks are soaked. I did get to do one of my favorite things though, my white icicle radishes are big enough to eat now so I get to graze a bit while I'm outside. I get the roots and the rabbits get the leaves, too early for snap peas but there's lots of blooms so it won't be long. I've started harvesting the various greens in the beds to make room for the tomatoes, but I miss judged how fast the garlic and shallots would be ready to pull. I'll just pull as little as I can for now and pull more as the tomatoes require more room.

Going to take our two geriatric dogs to the vets for their final trip. They both have various health issues and we wouldn't be doing them any favors by waiting any longer. They had good long lives and were good dogs.
:hugs So sorry

So sorry about the pups NewBoots. :hugs That’s one of the hardest things to do.
Ah yes, the buying of love with treats. I’m well acquainted! My drake and three younger girls don’t quite trust me enough not yet onmurder them if they eat from my hand yet but the thre Runner girls? Oh yeah.

Last edited:
Greenhouse beds done. amended, seeds sewn and starts planted.
also some amazing sweet pea colors this year.
and.... here are the latest bowling ball bugs. I did another lady bug for someone else, a scarab beetle for me and the spider is for hubby.
IMG_9842.jpg
IMG_9847.jpg
IMG_9846.jpg

IMG_9860.jpg

Today was a full day of working in the office. When I finally got done I watered the garden, pulled some weeds, transplanted sunflowers, winter pumpkins, sugar pumpkins and butternut squash into the three sister's area, got 3ft deer fencing around the three sisters area to contain the vines best I can, transplanted black diamond watermelons at the edge of a bed to sprawl in the front part of the garden (don't really need to walk there), and then cleaned up and sat by the fire pit until dinner time.
DW put the older ducklings out into the run today. Aside from our drake making moves on them they seem to be doing well. We have to watch the drake though. He apparently has a strong sex drive right now and those ducklings at not quite ready for that.

Hello everyone! I am now 20 PAGES behind on all the news! I came back from my business trip and got stuck working 16 hrs straight every day all week trying to prepare for a big presentation yesterday. I finally got out to the garden after not being around to do anything for almost two weeks. Besides being crazy overgrown, it wasn't doing too bad. We actually got it mowed tonight... And I did a BUNCH of weeding last night and tonight. Looks like we got 5.5 inches of rain during the week I was gone!

20210513_181624.jpg

20210513_165135.jpg

And something knocked my corn over. Don't know if this was an animal or a storm....

20210513_165124.jpg

:hugs @NewBoots

Busy day yesterday, I was gone the entire day. I was able to find the Brandywines & Sungolds so I'm happy about that. I also picked up a 6 pack of jalapenos, a couple burpless cukes & a couple pickling. My cuke starts are questionable so I grabbed some just in case. I did direct sow some too that are peeking out, but for some reason I have a hard time with cukes so spares will be good. I'm thinking I can stuff extras into the side of the straw bale, & I'm so happy I just came up with that! :ya

I also got a black sweet potato vine for an extra pot I have on the deck. I'm not into decorative plants that have no purpose, but I guess it has a purpose - to fill an empty pot!

So I am heading out to get all those planted & then the garden should be set. Well, still hardening off some cayenne starts. I will try & mulch it all in too if the back holds up.

Back
Top Bottom