What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. I’m headed outside to pull the luffah, squash and tomatoes, clean up the mess from the artichokes and water. In the last few days things have been struggling with the heat and the squash has a lot of damage from squash bugs now. Like literally overnight almost. It’s too much work too late in the season for too little reward. Next year I’ll be more prepared and I’m ok with it. I’m leaving the melons and cukes as those both seem to be doing great. The carrots are still in so I’m leaving those for now as well. I hope to finish the little shallow root veg bed in there today as well and get some dirt in it on top of some duck bedding. Have a great day!

Good morning gardeners. Loving this weather. I replanted the corn yesterday. Nearly all the previous planting was nowhere to be found except for maybe 3 or 4 seeds that were just starting to germinate. I picked up a small pot of dianthus to plant in the front yard yesterday. DD packed up and took off to Cape Cod for the weekend so I'm hoping to get a lot of work done while she is away. I got up earlier than usual and already have bread dough rising. The chickens are all fed and I planted more summer squash. My cucumber plants are looking a bit peaked so I'll be doing some direct seeding. I left my Impatiens outside all night and they are doing just fine. I need to get the Rosemary and dill out of the house as well. The basil, okra and pepper plants get to languish inside for at least another week. I'm hoping to get all the grass mowed again this weekend. It's at the stage that it grows another two inches after you cut it. I'm not complaining though. Last summer's drought really damaged the yard. The brown spots are now filling in and it is looking better. Both of my herb garden beds are responding to the warm temperatures and growing back nicely. Here's a photo of the Lilies of the Valley near the front door.
Lilies of the Valley.jpg

And here's Ellie luxuriating in Cape Cod. Of course she will share with DD.
Ellie on vacay 2021.jpg

I can't wait to see her on the beach.

Off to market again today.
Yesterday was a total bust. I think it was because it was the last day of school and a short day.

Might be heading into the city to grab a large table for sewing/cutting patterns. We'll see if they reply in time for me to get there and back for market.

I need to water the beans. They still aren't up.
Tomatoes still need to wait a week and a half at least.

They are, so far, happy to thrive in the greenhouse. JUST remembered I need more Bone meal, phosphorus.

Got everything planted that I bought. Got the stakes in too & everything is mulched, fertilized & watered. Just waiting on the cayennes to harden off & to pick up some habaneros from a friend.

I have all the cukes & squash planted outside of the garden, halfway across the yard in a straw bale, in pots on the deck & along a fence. I don't want those icky squash bugs in my garden this year. I'll give the garden a year off from them.

I have to run to HD to pick up a new toilet but I'm hoping to get a few tractor buckets full of wood chips into the chicken run & get the compost turned when I get back.

IMG_20210515_132502178.jpg

Good morning gardeners. Loving this weather. I replanted the corn yesterday. Nearly all the previous planting was nowhere to be found except for maybe 3 or 4 seeds that were just starting to germinate. I picked up a small pot of dianthus to plant in the front yard yesterday. DD packed up and took off to Cape Cod for the weekend so I'm hoping to get a lot of work done while she is away. I got up earlier than usual and already have bread dough rising. The chickens are all fed and I planted more summer squash. My cucumber plants are looking a bit peaked so I'll be doing some direct seeding. I left my Impatiens outside all night and they are doing just fine. I need to get the Rosemary and dill out of the house as well. The basil, okra and pepper plants get to languish inside for at least another week. I'm hoping to get all the grass mowed again this weekend. It's at the stage that it grows another two inches after you cut it. I'm not complaining though. Last summer's drought really damaged the yard. The brown spots are now filling in and it is looking better. Both of my herb garden beds are responding to the warm temperatures and growing back nicely. Here's a photo of the Lilies of the Valley near the front door.
View attachment 2670540
And here's Ellie luxuriating in Cape Cod. Of course she will share with DD.
View attachment 2670551
I can't wait to see her on the beach.
Is Ellie a rat terrier? She reminds me of one of my dogs who we think is a rat terrier mix. Fantastic dog!

I just read a Bonnie Plants ad that says mint is one of the easiest plants to grow.
Really?! Because I planted seeds twice now and nothing has come up. Thyme have me trouble but eventually came up after the second attempt. No mint though. I'm sure having a started plant is easy. Perhaps propogating from cuttings is better than seed... I don't have cuttings to start with though. I do have some mint growing wild in the yard. I don't know what type though and some members of the mint family are not good to eat.

It sprinkled for a little bit. Might get some more rain tonight. I'm hoping for a nice soaker.

I started laying out where I'm going to put the potatoes. I figured I better measure it this year, as I'm planting a bunch more. Last year they weren't spaced very evenly, which bothered me a little as the plants got bigger.

Then DH suggested we put the finishing touch on the coop add on, ie, the sheet of metal for the roof, so I didn't finish with the taters yet.

I had 10 Amish Paste tomato starts for a friend, and he picked them up today.

Of all the tomato varieties I planted, my saved Amish Paste seed and some saved Cherokee Purple a friend sent me have sprouted the best. The purchased seeds were hit and miss; some a total miss. :(

This was the third year I tried to sprout Habananda, and the third year that I got nada for my 'nandas. I tossed the packet today out of disgust. Has anyone ever grown those?

Back
Top Bottom