What did you do in the garden today?

What did you do in your garden today?

I picked a bunch of Rattlesnake green beans and Cherokee wax beans, a few tomatoes, three eggplants, some broccoli shoots, and jalapenos. Pretty happy with today's harvest!
thumbsup.gif
i laid 1000’ of 1/4” drip irrigation...tired!

Going to take our two geriatric dogs to the vets for their final trip. They both have various health issues and we wouldn't be doing them any favors by waiting any longer. They had good long lives and were good dogs.
Oh Boots, I'm so sorry. You gave them long, happy lives, and sometimes it's more peaceful for them to go together.

My cucumber plants are looking a bit peaked so I'll be doing some direct seeding.
Same here - my seedling cukes are floppy and not really growing, even though they were right next to the luffa, which are looking good...
Okay not much ado this is the garden just now
002.jpg
You're further ahead than I am! Your tire beds are starting to show some healthy growth! My garden looks like a bunch of empty beds with weeds starting to grow in between them.

I did get all my tire beds planted yesterday, 2 butternut, 2 pumpkin, 1 zucchini, 1 yellow squash, and one parsley. The 8th tire is maintaining some awesome chives, we had them on our baked potatoes yesterday!

Also put up trellises for the pumpkins (just 3 6-foot U-posts in a "teepee" shape, will do the same for the butternuts as well.) I started to put up a trellis for pole beans, then changed my mind about where to put it and took it down again - not the greatest plan - I decided to plant the beans in a part of the garden where I haven't built beds yet, and save the beds for cukes, cabbages, carrots, eggplant and a whole bed for basil. In the far east end where it's just bare soil, I think I'll just sow a bunch of sunflowers, plus dahlias in a row west of them, to take up weed space.

My tomato and eggplant seedlings are enjoying their hardening-off period. They've all grown more leaves, and are starting to look like sturdy plants that will survive in the garden, instead of spoiled princesses. I think my problem with starting seedlings indoors is keeping the heat on them too long - I need to have more confidence in the greenhouse - just because 50 degrees at night makes me put on a sweatshirt, it is fine for plants.

I have a question for people who grow in large outdoor containers, especially if you tend to get lots of rain - do you drill holes in the bottom of your containers? If not, what plants can tolerate wetter soil? I have a few large metal containers I would like to drag out to the garden and plant something in them, but I don't want to drill holes in them, because I'd eventually like to use them for stock tanks when we get some goats (hopefully next year.) Any suggestions of what to plant in them?

We are due for some rain tomorrow, so that should be good for all my squash seeds.

Good morning gardeners. Still loving the sunny weather. I enjoyed the first outdoor cooking of the season last night with my slow roasted and smoky roast chicken on the charcoal grill. Seasoned with home grown herbs. So good. I think my little apple tree just might make it. I'm pretty sure it is suffering from drought damage from last years drought. Some of the leaf buds are starting to open, yay! I gave it 5 gallons of water this morning and will be watering it heavily this week. The fig tree is also slow to leaf out and I suspect it's the same reason. Didn't get the front yard mowed yesterday but I'll knock that out later today. I'll be moving some more plants outside today. The radishes I planted last week are now coming up and the ones I planted early are nearly ready for picking. I still need to plant the dianthus in the front yard cutting garden. It's starting to bloom. So much to do and today is laundry day. I'm tired already. That is a lot of bees @jerryse. I wish I could keep bees here, but with the bears all about, a little too risky for me. Congratulations to your DD's transition to civilian life @Acre4Me. Best of luck to her. You mentioned garden stakes @Sueby. Fortunately, I still have some left over from last year because there are none to be found around here. I really like the bamboo stakes because they last a long time, but unfortunately the stores shelves are empty.

Well I did not catch anybody in the act but the damage is way too high for it to have been rabbits, turtles or any other critters unless they were using pogo sticks or stilts, so .... I can't think who else to blame! I will google later and see if deer do this.
:eek: Deer on stilts and pogo sticks?! I only knew about the turtles!
977B3257-F1F4-4E9E-A763-9DD3882E3300.jpeg C9ABA39D-A1BE-4D1D-9CA1-3532BA6223AF.jpeg

How do you like your greenhouse? I saw the same one online and gave it some serious thought, but didn't pull the plug.
I love mine. Although the number of modifications we made are silly. It's not strong enough to order and use the self venting jacks for the roof, which aren't great enough in number IMHO. We added additional securing measures, a true permit quality deck, and extra panel clips, PLUS 6 additional passive vents with covers. I have electric to it so I can run LED lights and a fan. The fan is an absolute MUST.

WOW - Robins hatch pretty quickly! Two hatched today

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.41.33 AM.png

Four eggs in the nest by May 8
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.41.42 AM.png

Today I see two very newly hatched chicks! Arrows are pointing to their heads.
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.41.56 AM.png

So, where are the egg shells? I guess I'll have to see if they are on the ground. But, I'll be going in and out of a different door, as much as possible to minimize momma or papa having to leave the nest for the next couple of days.

So, if the other 2 eggs are 2-3 days behind in development, I guess that's when the weaker/smaller chicks die, get pushed out bc the grow so fast that the ones only 2-3 days older are much bigger/stronger, etc.

WOW - Robins hatch pretty quickly! Two hatched today

View attachment 2673790

Four eggs in the nest by May 8
View attachment 2673791

Today I see two very newly hatched chicks! Arrows are pointing to their heads.
View attachment 2673792

So, where are the egg shells? I guess I'll have to see if they are on the ground. But, I'll be going in and out of a different door, as much as possible to minimize momma or papa having to leave the nest for the next couple of days.

So, if the other 2 eggs are 2-3 days behind in development, I guess that's when the weaker/smaller chicks die, get pushed out bc the grow so fast that the ones only 2-3 days older are much bigger/stronger, etc.
Just love the color of the eggs . We have robins but i have yet to find any nests. Maybe because the steller jays nest here every year? I dunno

Back
Top Bottom