What did you do in the garden today?

Send like this thread is a not slower today. Everybody must be gardening.

We got back out after the storm, which lasted just over an hour and then the sun came back out in full force and died everything up. We finished moving dirt for now into the duck pen. The hole is finally filled. I'll need to add more dirt as the ground settles, but that's alright. I have another grading project involved with the patio renovation that's up next on the project list. That's going to result in some excess dirt I think as there's a shallow mound in the lawn just beyond the patio that needs to get knocked down because it prevents water from flowing away from the patio. That excess dirt will go on the duck pen to help offset the ground settlement.

Here's the duck pen. New pond will not get built until next year to let the ground settle first. Kiddy pool works for now.
20210612_193226.jpg

I stopped by the farmers market today. I should have set up and sold some eggs. Just too hot... But I am making a commitment to do it next weekend. I may bag up some extra compost and try to sell it too.

In the meantime, I bought a luffa gourd start from an old guy. I've always wanted to try it but just haven't. I realize now that they need 200 days to mature which I don't really have. Granted we aren't likely to see frost until after Thanksgiving so MAYBE I can get 1 or 2? I'm mostly after the seeds that I can use for next year. The good news is that I only paid $1 for it... So no great loss if it doesn't make it.

View attachment 2715549
Where did you hear 200 days?? My packet says 90-120 and my cousin easily gets dried gourds in August if not July by and he’s only about a hundred miles south of me. If you don’t get frost until around thanksgiving that’s almost 180 days left. You should have plenty of time.

Did more weeding in between storms and errands didn’t buy anything at the plant sale didn’t see anything I was interested in. They didn’t have some pretty rare day lilies though. One was $100 a pot and not overpriced! I looked it up!
Whoa! I'd like to see that, any chance of a link?

Hot, hot, and more hot. Went to Lowe's thinking I would buy some flowers, but... everything was hit by the heat and looked wilted. I didn't feel comfortable paying that much for flowers that may or may not bounce back.

Watered this evening. Something knocked over one of my pots and slightly squished one of the plants. No idea what. No actual lasting damage done though. I'll keep an eye on things.

All the cherry tomatoes are germinated, and the okra spent some time outside today in the shade until we hit the hottest part of the day. I think tomorrow I'll sit everything outside in the shade until midday.

Whoa! I'd like to see that, any chance of a link?

Hot, hot, and more hot. Went to Lowe's thinking I would buy some flowers, but... everything was hit by the heat and looked wilted. I didn't feel comfortable paying that much for flowers that may or may not bounce back.

Watered this evening. Something knocked over one of my pots and slightly squished one of the plants. No idea what. No actual lasting damage done though. I'll keep an eye on things.

All the cherry tomatoes are germinated, and the okra spent some time outside today in the shade until we hit the hottest part of the day. I think tomorrow I'll sit everything outside in the shade until midday.
Here’s a link with pics of the $100 one as well as the list. https://bellsdaylilygarden.com/product/bessie-lee/

If anyone is interested in the specific nursery I’ll DM the info.
4F67DD18-074B-4C4B-B203-228EDFCA6AE7.jpeg
C1705761-6883-4A2F-85C6-30782429592E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom