What did you do in the garden today?

I didn’t do much more in the garden today. It reached 91F! Tomorrow will be a little less hot.

bought feed (which has increased 20%!!), and got some 3’ garden stakes with the tabs.

then clothes shopping, but nothing worthwhile found. So, I’ll have to venture further to shop elsewhere.

tomorrow I’ll water the garden and maybe plant a few more okra seeds where none have sprouted.

cut carrot greens and the roots will start getting bigger. make sure to leave the smallest leaf in the center so that it can grow. repeat as many times as you wish.
Going to give this a try, first I've heard of it.

Pulled the last of the garlic today and hung it in the garage/barn, the first batch looks really good and dry already. I got a couple more tomatoes planted and caged and pruned and tied the rest of the tomatoes. It rained again today so that and more weeding was about all I got done. The peppers and okra I put in the raised beds aren't doing anything, in fact the okra look like they're dying, just not hot enough. The flower seeds I started a couple days ago in the greenhouse are sprouting already, hopefully they'll grow fast enough to bloom this year. Several colors of bachelor buttons and cosmos, and even a pink and green zinnia.

Missed 10+ pages and didn’t feel like finishing catching up. Whoever was dealing with blossom rot on squash it’s impossible to avoid here but I go everyday and make sure the dead blooms are removed from the squash and it greatly reduces the amount of rot. Increasing airflow helps too.
Around here the cucumbers, squash, peppers, tomatoes and green beans are all close to being ready. Strung some more cucumbers between storms and other chores but didn’t get nearly anything done because of how muddy it is. I’ll try to get some work in tomorrow but I’ll be going to a plant sale with a family member and I have no clue how long we will be there. Then Sunday some friends are coming over after church. Honestly forgot what having a social life was like with COVID and all that.
Same! Pages behind! And covid n covid pneumonia in March has left us ultra behind with planting season!
But we didn't let that keep us from progressing!
I actually got my husband to do.me a raised bed yesterday! Super excited...super exhausted but oh the fun ahead!
It is 13' x 2 ½' and he even bought a skill saw to do the cutting of 2x6s!!!
Of course gotta get more dirt than I bought. But praying the seedlings of tomatoes (beefmaster and cherry) will have make it one more day til I get them all transplanted.
Update on the red russian kale - it is lookin amazing from where I took the outer leaves off for my salad earlier in the week. Spindly is straightening up and looking really good! We got the lettuce, mixed greens and spinach all moved to shade area so hoping it will take off now as well!
And hubby agreed on moving our lil new coopto other side of the deck! So we'll tackle that this evening after the kids come over for early Father's day cookout.

The new storm system blew in around 4ishpm yesterday,

IMG_0905.JPG

Today is 2021 compost pile mixing day, I have open piles of kitchen veg., ash, chicken poo, and forest mulch.
I also want to plant more green beans,
1623588420182.png

we have had too much rain for the current one to do well. So we'll see how it goes.
Enjoy your Coffee!

Morning all.
Arthritis and Allergies are trying to win this morning. I don't have time for that, so they better just quit. After 2 weeks my lungs are just tired and occasionally my just muscles ache from coughing or sneezing. I swear Covid has me screwed up forever. Last Spring and this season have been the worse for my lungs in my whole life. I go outside for a just a couple of minutes and it takes me forever to not hack up oysters or take a full solid breath.

But the 4 acres needs mowed before I have to buy a machete, so off I'll get.

The tomatoes all need pruned and fed, but I'll do that Tuesday.

We're hitting the dewpoint at night and after 2 inches of rain, I'll wait on the hay cutting. Lucky turkey hen can just sit out there.

Heading for mid 90s all week and kissing 100, then the humidity on top of that. July weather in mid June.

Garden looks plump and delicious. Found a dessert cup of ripe alpine strawberries. DS ate them all.

The tomato that was ripening on the vine and that started growing in the greenhouse, ended up with BERot, no surprise as the plant had not been fed calcium in the greenhouse. All subsequent tomatoes should be fine though.

Decorative corn is knee high and already setting tassels, LOL. Decorative and comedic, how clever of it.

The sewing room is all cleaned up and organized. I still need to make labels (which I'll do while the dew dries this morning), and I want to hang a cloth wall so I don't have to look at the storage area. Either that or sort out the storage area. LOL.

For the dressmakers dummy, I have a friend who owns a mattress store where they build custom mattresses. He let me raid his trim pile for foam. So instead of padding the old girl up with cotton or poly filling, I'll use various structural layers to pad her out where she needs to be. That way she'll pop back into place when I tie a corset or set of stays on her. Squishy where I'm squishy and solid where I'm solid. (I have the shoulders of a footballer.)

OK label time.

I will not forget sunscreen today. I will NOT forget sunscreen today!

OH and for all of my fellow mass canning people, on my shopping trips this past week, I have seen pallets of canning jars starting to arrive.

Some Ball, some Kerr. A LOT of Golden harvest (which is the lower end of the jar market price wise and has a high rate of breakage), and at ACE Hardware I saw PUR Mason, which is made in China. So roll your dice on that one.

I have NOT see boxes or sleeves of canning lids anywhere I've been; target, home depot, menards, lowes, the amish/mennonite market, AceHardware, Orsheln, Tractor suppy, and two local grocery chains.

Many of my canning jars are from the 20s and 30s and after years of canning are showing stress fractures and have been moved to the dry storage shelves for dehydrated items.

I might have to purchase a few cases of new jars this year. OOOO I have one more farm store I haven't tried.

Just tossing that out there.

OH and for all of my fellow mass canning people, on my shopping trips this past week, I have seen pallets of canning jars starting to arrive.

Some Ball, some Kerr. A LOT of Golden harvest (which is the lower end of the jar market price wise and has a high rate of breakage), and at ACE Hardware I saw PUR Mason, which is made in China. So roll your dice on that one.

I have NOT see boxes or sleeves of canning lids anywhere I've been; target, home depot, menards, lowes, the amish/mennonite market, AceHardware, Orsheln, Tractor suppy, and two local grocery chains.

Many of my canning jars are from the 20s and 30s and after years of canning are showing stress fractures and have been moved to the dry storage shelves for dehydrated items.

I might have to purchase a few cases of new jars this year. OOOO I have one more farm store I haven't tried.

Just tossing that out there.
Amazon has the brand names, to all interested, I'd buy now rather than later when you need them. I might be needing some more actual jars this year, but I'll play it by ear a bit. Have plenty of people I can give stuff to if necessary.

Covid last year screwed me up too, still get randomly winded sometimes but the other nonsense has cleared.

Cooler today by a few degrees. I'll take it, sheesh.

Good morning gardeners. Yesterday was such a lovely day. Sunny with highs in the mid 70's. The garden is doing well. I have 4 potato plants with flower buds so far. The lavender is starting to bloom too. My peach tree is looking much better, I still want to spray it with some more neem oil but it's too breezy right now and we are supposed to get a little more rain overnight. If all goes well I should have a few home grown peaches this year. The down side, the few emerging apples on my tree dropped off. My lettuce continues to do well and I think I need to thin my kale again so it is spaced 12 inches apart. (Or am I making an excuse to pick some fresh young kale?) I probably should space my carrots a bit more as well. Good news on the pepper front - they are all loving these warmer temps as are the butternut squash plants. I think I may have another lima bean plant emerging. Gee, way more drama than regular veggies. LOL! I've been finding canning lids in Walmart from time to time over the last few months. I have plenty of jars already. When looking for lids I found jars with lids so I bought a couple of cases. So I'm all set for now. The bourbon chicken came out great last night. This afternoon friends are coming over for baby back ribs and chicken wings on the grill. Yum! I'm loving my new grills. Have a great day all!

Back
Top Bottom