What did you do in the garden today?

Look at this boy!! He's only 9 months old (an early September hatch), but SOOO tall. I was trying to get the pic at his level. Look how "small" the HEN on his right looks. He is a Black Langshan and his name is "Thorin Oakenshield" for any Hobbit/LOTR fans.
He is a glorious boy! I assume it's the Thorin from the movie? I never really pictured Thorin that way reading the book. :drool
Can anyone recommend a good all around liquid veggie fertilizer? Preferably organic. I'm hoping to have my soil test back this week - maybe that'll help me decide what I need. I use Dr. Earth usually but I'd like to switch it up a bit & that one is too hard to make into a tea.
Morning Gardeners. Best fertilizer is Alaska fish fertilizer.
I like plant compost tea myself but the fish fertilizer is a close second. Be sure any cats or dogs can't get to it though.
I'm a garden putterer. Today I saw a caterpillar on a blueberry bush, out of reach. So I went inside the fence and squished it. I thought I'd "pull a few weeds" while I was there. I ended up on my hands and knees, pulling out the grass that has grown under the fence. It looks a lot better!
I'm more of a "look shiney!" type of gardener myself. I typically start at one end of the yard - lets say, cleaning poop boards - then notice the grow out pen needs to be moved, then notice the bunnies need more fodder, go to cut some sunchoke tops, then notice I don't have my pruners, then start inside to get some pruners then since I'm going inside I should take the eggs with me then notice the water cups need cleaning and then and then and then. Very efficient...:rolleyes:

It's been pouring rain since last night (about 3" so far) till about an hour ago. I didn't even let the ladies out till about a half hour ago, they're still learning about rain and don't always have the sense to get to a sheltered spot. A neighbor knocked on the door to ask if we were missing a chicken, that there was one at her place. I knew mine were all fine but I grabbed a net and a cage and went with her and saw a pathetic little white chicken with a top knot hiding under her bbq. Poor thing was sodden and miserable, I swear she was just sitting there waiting for someone to come rescue her. Neighbor went to check with another neighbor who has chickens and I netted the little hen and got her in the cage. Turned out she belongs to the other folks in the neighborhood and they had her dried off and back with her buds in no time. The pop-up pavilion didn't survive the rain, water got trapped on top and it collapsed from the weight. Going to have to make sure the canopy stays taught on the next one. Had spaghetti, sautéed beet greens and brownies for lunch and now I just want a nap. Lazy day.

I didn't go down to the garden today at all.... But I did get the luffa starts planted today and put up a cow panel trellis for them to grow on.

I got 2 Washington Hawthorns planted that have been sitting in a bucket for a month! Also had to replant my pussy willow because someone (horse or goat) pulled it out! I moved it to the other side of the pond. Hopefully it will be safer over there.

I just did a little checking on things and tied up a few more tomatoes. Squashed some squash bugs and sprayed more aphids. I'm enjoying the hammock and listening to a book on tape. Thinking I really need a pedicure. My toe cuticles are dirty from working in the mud in rubber sandals. Sorry if that was over sharing.:D

Attachments

• 16236330275803568923435509390760.jpg
    16236330275803568923435509390760.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 7
I just did a little checking on things and tied up a few more tomatoes. Squashed some squash bugs and sprayed more aphids. I'm enjoying the hammock and listening to a book on tape. Thinking I really need a pedicure. My toe cuticles are dirty from working in the mud in rubber sandals. Sorry if that was over sharing.:D
AS IT SHOULD BE!

I'm enjoying the hammock and listening to a book on tape. Thinking I really need a pedicure. My toe cuticles are dirty from working in the mud in rubber sandals. Sorry if that was over sharing.:D
I hear you sister! I need to make appointments for mani pedis for both DP and I. Over the last year that was one of the things I really missed, especially the pedi. And I want the deluxe one, where they massage my lower legs and scrub the calluses on my feet away like they never existed.
Got the "pool" set up.
Is that for ducks, general decoration, or for cooling off in? DP keeps saying she wanted a pool for lazing in on hot days.

I hear you sister! I need to make appointments for mani pedis for both DP and I. Over the last year that was one of the things I really missed, especially the pedi. And I want the deluxe one, where they massage my lower legs and scrub the calluses on my feet away like they never existed.
I need one of those pedicures! Sandals and dry weather combined with forgetting my pumice scrubber in Colorado has done a number on my heels. Plus, getting harder to reach my feet at all... when not pregnant I can normally put my foot behind my head, so feeling a bit constrained. Hmph.

Spent my energy reserves today on house work instead of gardening. But, gifted a plant to the landlady because she had empty pots on her porch. Lol. The sprouts were happy to spend all day outside in the shade, so I get my closet back for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom