What did you do in the garden today?

I don't have any good containers for it so I may try ziplock bags, but I'm scared they'll leak before they freeze.
I freeze my bone broth in pint-and-a-half canning jars. I use the plastic tops, let them cool off in the fridge first. Leave whatever fat rises to the top in there; it helps form an airtight seal for long term storage.

24114.jpg

evening happy hour :love

Everyone's gardens look great! I woke up this morning to the tune of the amberlink sisters singing their egg songs and as I waited for them to finish I heard the unmistakable crowing of a young cockerel. Couldn't catch them in the act but their days are numbered. Dang it! Went out, cleaned the coop, and filled it with fresh clean pine shavings then sprinkled some of the herb mix. It smells so nice in there now. I looked over the littles while I was working, I'm betting it's the barred rocks, probably both are male. So disappointing.

After spending a lot of time picking the million squash bugs off the zucchini and culling one dead bush, I relented from frustration and got some sevin dust. The tomatoes are pinking up and I will soon have loads of them to pick. I see a few tassels on the corn and some small yellow squash ( bug free). The cushaw did not make it so need to replant that.Taking a short break before starting the weed wacker. It is already 86 degrees with 64% humidity.

I use a mix of Neem oil and peppermint castile soap mixed with water in my garden sprayer (or a spray bottle). It isn't toxic to the environment the way Sevin is and it doesn't harm beneficial bugs like bees. I used it last year against Squash bug nymphs with great success.... It doesn't kill adults but those are easy to pick off and throw in a bowl of soapy water. I also take 30 minutes each day and look under every single leaf looking for squash bug & vine borer eggs. They are easy to scrape off with your fingernail or a flathead screw driver. If you toss the eggs on the ground, they will likely be eaten by spiders and other bugs.

Back
Top Bottom