What did you do in the garden today?

Harvested the smaller round shallots today (I think they're golden moon) and DP and I got them all braided and hung in the loft of the garage/barn. More room in the beds now for tomatoes and only one 2x4 section of monster shallots (these are the offspring of last years planting and the bin was unmarked so no idea what kind they are) left to finish up. Winter planting garlic and shallots where I hoped to plant tomatoes later worked but just barely. It was a nail biter. Of my three over wintered peppers, only one seems to be healthy. All three look like plants that've been given too much water but non of them are sitting in trays so I don't know. I might give up on peppers and just buy what I need for canning. About 1/3 of the ones I started from seed are growing pretty well but who knows what I'll get from them. I'll just keep and eye out for what I can get at the Farmer's Market.

Got to mow tomorrow and if I'm good and get that done I'll go fishing on Thursday.

I mounted chicken wire on privacy fence for morning glories to crawl up. Planted the last of the flower plant packs today . Phew.
I got a new kneeler as my old one is broke down from years of use in garden and painting, LOVE IT. Watered all the limpy plants in ground. Thinned a few carrot's it's just too hot to do too much in sun. My DH fixed my soaker hose on my cukes and blackberries, and it works better than ever. Cleaned coop, watered their dirt in run for digging down in. They spent the rest of the day hunkered down there. Wicking tubs are doing great in heat.

Attachments

• PXL_20210610_014659977.jpg
    PXL_20210610_014659977.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20210610_014713180.jpg
    PXL_20210610_014713180.jpg
    803.5 KB · Views: 2
Harvested the smaller round shallots today (I think they're golden moon) and DP and I got them all braided and hung in the loft of the garage/barn. More room in the beds now for tomatoes and only one 2x4 section of monster shallots (these are the offspring of last years planting and the bin was unmarked so no idea what kind they are) left to finish up. Winter planting garlic and shallots where I hoped to plant tomatoes later worked but just barely. It was a nail biter. Of my three over wintered peppers, only one seems to be healthy. All three look like plants that've been given too much water but non of them are sitting in trays so I don't know. I might give up on peppers and just buy what I need for canning. About 1/3 of the ones I started from seed are growing pretty well but who knows what I'll get from them. I'll just keep and eye out for what I can get at the Farmer's Market.

Got to mow tomorrow and if I'm good and get that done I'll go fishing on Thursday.
My pepper plants from seed never did get big enough for planting either, I broke down and bought my plants this year. They have flowers on them but they're only 8 inches tall?!? Guess we'll see where that goes.

Attachments

• PXL_20210610_014525983.jpg
    PXL_20210610_014525983.jpg
    961.7 KB · Views: 3
Lots of weeding and not much else. Today was rough took the foster kitten to the vet since it seemed like it was in pain. On the way there we hit a dog on the interstate. No way to avoid it but still feel horrible. Knocked out the whole fog light system and left a basketball sized dent in the fender. Once we got to the vet they did Xrays and the foster kitten has a fractured pelvis. Just horrible day all around.

Ugh! Thats terrible @Artichoke Lover ! I hope kitten can heal - but fractured pelvis - how serious? We've hit a cat on the interstate a few years ago- no way to avoid it either - it came out of nowhere! Sad for sure.
Not terribly serious he’s probably had it for several weeks since before he came to us. He’s on crate rest for a month and if it isn’t showing signs of healing then they may consider doing a surgery to put in plates and screws.

My purple potato plant is beginning to bloom! Purple flowers to go with the purple stems! Variety is called "Blackberry".

View attachment 2720561

@BReeder! , have your purple majesty potatoes bloomed yet? Wonder what color flower it will have!
My red potatoes have purple flowers and my white/yellow "regular" potatoes have white flowers.

Back
Top Bottom