What did you do in the garden today?

Made it through the storm, but with little sleep so I slept in a bit today. Turns out a tornado touched down just north of me and a number of buildings in my area suffered storm damage. We look alright here though.
I got up and had breakfast with leftover fajitas from the other day. I cooked on my new flat iron (like a Black Stone), which is my Father's Day and early birthday gift. I love it! Then I went to check on the garden. I was worried after the winds and pounding rains we had last night. I was happy to see that everything looked great though. The ground is actually wet for once! For weeks now every rain has just been a shower or quick downpour that dries up in minutes. It's nice to see the cracks in the lawn disappear and the garden soil looks fluffy, moist and expanded again. I will not have to water today.

Does anyone freeze garlic over the winter? I've been reading on it & am specifically interested the method where you peel bulbs, puree 2 parts oil to 1 part garlic in a blender & then freeze. It stays soft enough that you can scrape out what you need.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it. It seems very convenient & I think I'll have quite a bit of garlic so this sounds like it would last me till next years crop is ready. I would love to be garlic self sufficient. :gig

ETA: I found it here so it's safe: https://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/sites/g/files/dgvnsk7366/files/inline-files/250352.pdf
I do believe it would stay soft in the freezer. I freeze frying oil to save it for future use. It doesn't get rock hard, but more like butter right from the fridge. Olive oil is different than corn or peanut oil, but I suspect it would be similar in texture in the freezer.

It’s ON!

battle against the potato beetle has reached another level. This morning a leaf flipped over because of the wind…I caught a glimpse of bright yellow eggs. These are Colorado potato beetle eggs. OH NO YOU DON’T get to use my garden as a nursery and food source for your hungry offspring. So, marched inside, got teen daughters hand mirror and carefully looked at all undersides of the leaves. Found 2 more patches of eggs. Found 1 more beetle. :rant

It’s ON!

battle against the potato beetle has reached another level. This morning a leaf flipped over because of the wind…I caught a glimpse of bright yellow eggs. These are Colorado potato beetle eggs. OH NO YOU DON’T get to use my garden as a nursery and food source for your hungry offspring. So, marched inside, got teen daughters hand mirror and carefully looked at all undersides of the leaves. Found 2 more patches of eggs. Found 1 more beetle. :rant
Hopefully you are nearing harvest. I just dig up some here last week as a year. We are a few weeks away from harvest just I suspect.

I just looked at my garden design and got reminded that I never got my flower border put in. I was growing native plants from seed and the died when we went to Disney for a week. I should have put them in the ground before we left, but the ground was not prepped yet and there is still grass growing where I want flowers... Perhaps I will plant bulbs instead come Fall. We will see...

Hopefully you are nearing harvest. I just dig up some here last week as a year. We are a few weeks away from harvest just I suspect.
I have 3 types. The Carola, a German yellow potato, is the most advanced. Full of flowers and now dropping those, but producing new tufts of flowers too! I am simply amazed at the size of the Carola plant and the vast quantity of flowers each Carola plant has produced. The other two are partially into flowering or just beginning to form flower bud clusters. FWIW, the CPB seems to greatly prefer the Carola right now. .

The Gourds are doing great! There will be shade for the chickens soon!

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 12.37.04 PM.png

I managed to pull up a bunch of this really annoying burr called puncturevine before it got too hot. Apparently the name arises from their ability to pop bicycle tires. Nasty things for sure.

I've got some kind of wicked nasty vine that keeps coming back no matter how much I cut it down. It's like whack-a-mole.....it pops up in another location. It has nasty long thorns, no flowers, but large, shiny, teardrop shaped leaves. I'll have to go take a picture of it and see if anyone can tell me what it is.... It is incredibly aggressive and invasive. I've seen it burrow its way through 3 ft of mulch to rear its ugly head. And you can't just pull it out. It's anchored in the ground like concrete.

I've got some kind of wicked nasty vine that keeps coming back no matter how much I cut it down. It's like whack-a-mole.....it pops up in another location. It has nasty long thorns, no flowers, but large, shiny, teardrop shaped leaves. I'll have to go take a picture of it and see if anyone can tell me what it is.... It is incredibly aggressive and invasive. I've seen it burrow its way through 3 ft of mulch to rear its ugly head. And you can't just pull it out. It's anchored in the ground like concrete.
Yeah, post a picture and tag me, I'll look it up for you.

Back
Top Bottom