What did you do in the garden today?

Yeah, post a picture and tag me, I'll look it up for you.

I had to go get the mail... Here's some pictures.

20210621_115233.jpg

20210621_115239.jpg

And they don't go away after they die off in winter. Here's last year's vines
Still sharp and ready to slice you open.
20210621_115251.jpg

Rain is rolling in!
yahoo_zpsb6e7a199.gif

20210621_115345.jpg

Don't worry too much, just water a lot! Each year is good for some things and bad for others, so you are sure to get a good harvest of some plants.
This is really good advise for any gardener. :)
Just wondering if anyone has tried it. It seems very convenient & I think I'll have quite a bit of garlic so this sounds like it would last me till next years crop is ready. I would love to be garlic self sufficient. :gig

ETA: I found it here so it's safe: https://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/sites/g/files/dgvnsk7366/files/inline-files/250352.pdf
Thanks for linking this, it's a marvelous document. I have so much garlic this year I'll probably try several of the methods in it.
Made it through the storm,
So glad to hear it, thanks for letting us know all is well.
I had to go get the mail... Here's some pictures.
Picture This says it's Chayote Squash and if it blooms the fruits are supposed to be really tasty.

Just a few shallots left in the beds now and they'll be ready to pull in a week or so, then I can put in the last couple of tomatoes. I miscalculated badly on the sugar snap peas, the trellis isn't anywhere big enough and they are pulling the trellis down from their weight. Last year I used 2x4 inch x 4 foot fencing, so I never knew how much stress was on it. But the 2x4 holes were too small to make harvesting easy. This year I used a soft netting with about 5 or 6 inch holes but the weight is pulling the whole thing lower and bending the uposts. :he Next year I'll use cement wire mesh.

The ground is actually wet for once! For weeks now every rain has just been a shower or quick downpour that dries up in minutes. It's nice to see the cracks in the lawn disappear and the garden soil looks fluffy, moist and expanded again. I will not have to water today.
Same here! We got about an inch of rain last night.
Found 2 more patches of eggs. Found 1 more beetle.
They are now ex-patches and beetle, I assume. I hate those things!

Update on the gypsy moth caterpillars. I talked with an arborist, and it's too late to do anything but a broad spectrum insecticide. Not going to do that. The time to do something targeted to the caterpillars was about 5-6 weeks ago. That's the bad news.

The good news is that our area is not a badly hit as farther north. (Ok, not good news for those folks.) Trees have the reserves to releaf if they have to. These pests can kill a tree if they have bad infestations in successive years. So next May, I need to check out what the gypsy moth forecast is and take action then.

Back
Top Bottom