What did you do in the garden today?

Pick the cucumbers early then. It helps with keeping them crunchy. Mine usually have a good snap, but can get soft in the center since I tend to pick them a little later. Also, any fully ripe cucumbers get turned into today or pickle chips. Spears have to be made from cucumbers that haven't fully ripened so they hold up through the canning process and deliver a crunch at the end.
Also, I'm curious to know how Clausen seals there pickles. They claim they are never heated. They are sold refrigerated though, but I do have an extra fridge in the garage that could hold some jars as long as they last a long time.
They aren't heated. They are refrigerator pickles, plain and simple.

I was such a bad girl today. Stopped by Atwoods to check on feed prices and picked up 2 baby polish chicks to give to my co-broody girls. My daughter loves the one we have. I'm trying to figure out color on one of them. Maybe gold laced?View attachment 2770198View attachment 2770199
My best guess on this little fuzzball is now Candy Corn Polish. How cute would that be? Especially for $2.49....

We got some panels made for the coop divider today. I had to go get more roofing nails so we can finish. When it got too hot, we started ripping out the old nasty carpet in my bedroom. Going to put in carpet squares ourselves.
20210723_171055.jpg

@Sooner Magnolia, omg that is so cute! Is it you that have the hens sharing chicks?

Hard to see but they all ate and drank then passed out under the heat plate! 😂 I’ve been watching them nap for about 30 minutes. ❤️
The peepers are so irresistible, I can watch them for hours.
I LOVE cowboy candy! We don't eat sugar here so I haven't made any in a few years, I miss it. Last year at my Christmas jam making party we made a jalapeno jam (but with mixed peppers instead) & it was delish! Have you tried anything like that? People loved it so I think we'll be making it again this year.
I've thought about making the jam but haven't gotten to it yet. I just wish i could grow more peppers myself. I put a couple in the raised beds to see if they did better than the ones in pots and they haven't. I have a friend in town who swears she grows more than she can use, I'll have to go over to her place and see what she's doing.

@WthrLady, I loved your story on your site about making cowboy candy! You do write really well.

Welp, I saw my first live 8 week old cornish crosses yesterday at a local fair. OMG, they looked like feathered elephants! These were show birds (4H) and I know in a random batch there would be more variation in size development but that would be fine, then I wouldn't have to process they all at once. Got some good tips on husbandry and an excellent hatchery (has the newer and less fragile strains) relatively nearby (so no shipping needed, just an hour and a half drive) and I'm going to do it.

I've thought about making the jam but haven't gotten to it yet. I just wish i could grow more peppers myself. I put a couple in the raised beds to see if they did better than the ones in pots and they haven't. I have a friend in town who swears she grows more than she can use, I'll have to go over to her place and see what she's doing.

I make a peach/hot pepper jelly that my relatives go crazy for! We eat it with cheese & crackers. They request it at every holiday now!

Back
Top Bottom