What did you do in the garden today?

Pulled some more tomatoes, okra and cukes. My cherokee purple pics are below, that vine really ripened over the weekend. The picture shows more of a brighter red than reality, they look more burgundy in person. I know I probably seem like such a chicken noob...but Bigs has given us 4 eggs in 5 days since laying her first one on Thursday! It is really exciting. Her sister is constantly squatting/sitting right now as well so i expect her to lay any day. I have about a dozen Jalepenos that will be picked in the next couple of days, the bush is about to fall over from the weight.

Harvest 7.26.21.jpg

Measurable rain this morning, enough to nearly fill up a rain barrel - probably a tenth of an inch. Rare during the summer but seems to happen every other year or so. Took my coffee outside after it stopped and I see a mango tree leaning over.. yep, gopher got it 😢 it was in a wire basket too but in two years it had rusted. Trap is set for the little 🤬

I miss the monarch butterflies of my childhood.... No milkweed here. It's toxic to horses...
I have a couple monarchs on my zinnias every year. I don't have milkweed either so I don't know if they've adapted to another plant or what.
the lumber prices were too high. I modified my plans and made raised beds using galvanized sheet metal for the sides
Even before lumber prices skyrocketed, materials for galvanized beds were cheaper here. I made one without cutting it, 26" high I think, and it's wonderful. Too high for the critters to jump in and dig for grubs, and easier for me to pick from.

We moved into our house!!! Since almost everything we have was in storage for 2 years while we house-hunted, I am working on washing every dish, blanket, towel, washcloth, and bedding item. It's going to take a while, but it makes me thankful for the dishwasher and clothes washer.
Yesterday, I spent a few minutes picking some wild blackberries.
09121A80-CA6A-48D3-9BB5-60F3616719CA.jpeg

It looked like the seller hadn't mowed the lawn for about 3 weeks, so we bought a new mower and my husband spent 4 hours mowing yesterday. This is maybe half of the ridiculous amount, and will be used to prep the area for next year's garden (along with almost all of the cardboard boxes from moving).

3368CD72-9D82-49FC-A9CB-176EEF9888D3.jpeg

I found a chubby Monarch caterpillar as I was dumping more grass on the pile.

57404B40-920A-4092-A3C3-6C1301D3866A.jpeg

I found an apple under the apple tree. I guess we missed the apple harvest?

9DAFBE2A-8E87-4503-83D9-D11DC7CA9177.jpeg

This is my first ripe tomato! The leaves are starting to look really sad, but as long as I get ripe tomatoes, I am happy. Next season will be much better with an in the ground garden!
2DD6BAC1-4FC6-4BC3-B990-23DAB063E83F.jpeg

Time to make dinner and then rest my feet!

Back
Top Bottom