What did you do in the garden today?

When I make the cucumber salad, I wash the cucumbers, peel them, and then rinse them off. Then I slice them on my food slicer. I'll take a slice from somewhere in the middle of the cucumber and give it a taste test. Even though the skin is gone, I'll still have a bitter tasting cucumber.

I know the cucumber skin can be very bitter, but even without the skin I can still taste bitterness in some of these cucumbers. I watched some more YouTube videos last night on the subject of bitter cucumbers, and I found a couple recipes that claim they will take out the bitterness of the cucumber by using a combination of vinegar and sugar in the mix. I'll try that with the bitter cucumber slices I set aside to see if corrects the bitterness. It's worth a try.

And, if I fail to correct the bitterness, I'll just throw the slices out into the chicken run. I bet the chickens will eat it without a problem. If not, at least it will get composted because I turned my chicken run into a composting system. I put almost all our organic material into the run and just let it compost in place.
I throw all sorts of veggies in the chicken yard- i Have had tomatoes and cantaloupe plants come up in there- lol- the melon vines never last long- they get eaten.

I checked the tomatoes and pumpkins. I’m excited to say that I see a lot of tomato buds, and the pumpkins are growing out another side of the fence where I see seven more babies. The biggest are plum size with the smallest being grape. My biggest pumpkin in there looks like a … maybe twenty pounder.

Just got fresh 10# bucket of sour cherries from MI (at local farmers market -common to truck them down for same day pick up).

recipes to use these up: your best/favorite recipes appreciated.
I have never had sour cherries- always go for the sweet ones. usually use canned pie filling for pie or cobblers. I like to eat sweet cherries plain while sitting around the house.

Rather than totally pickling your bitter cucumbers @gtaus, I remember my grandmother diluting white vinegar with water and adding some dill to it. Put the sliced cucumbers in a bowl with this solution for an hour or two in the refrigerator. The cucumbers will have a brighter flavor, but way less sodium as in pickles. This was pretty much a standard side dish with summer dinners.

Just got fresh 10# bucket of sour cherries from MI (at local farmers market -common to truck them down for same day pick up).

recipes to use these up: your best/favorite recipes appreciated.
I’m not much help with the cherries @Acre4Me. I like them but a bit too sweet for my taste. I have made an occasional cherry pie just using a simple recipe from my Joy of Cooking cookbook. Making a simple pie like cherry sauce served over vanilla ice cream or pound cake is yummy.

I cleared more space for my ever growing Muscovies! They did not like me messing up their yard, until I started handing out worms. One of the males, I call him Gordon, caught a beautiful green frog. I wish he hadn't but I guess that's what ducks do. 🐸

Attachments

• IMG-5467.JPG
    IMG-5467.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG-5470 (2).JPG
    IMG-5470 (2).JPG
    882.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-5472.JPG
    IMG-5472.JPG
    983.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-5469.JPG
    IMG-5469.JPG