What did you do in the garden today?

Pepper lovers out there, any thoughts on what to wash hands with to remove capsaicin? I washed a few times with soap already. Hands are not burning, but iching my ear and more recently rubbing my eye (it has been 3 his at least since I finishec messing with peppers, so I didn't think my have were still biohazards) proved to be terrible ideas.
Mustard.

ETA: When you wash up with hot water, it will reactivate any capsaicin on your hands just like it were pepper spray. Be careful when you shower.

Further searches using "jalapeno hands" should turn up more remedies for you. It's different by person, good luck!

Last edited:
Mustard.

ETA: When you wash up with hot water, it will reactivate any capsaicin on your hands just like it were pepper spray. Be careful when you shower.

Further searches using "jalapeno hands" should turn up more remedies for you. It's different by person, good luck!
Its not too bad. I worry more about the kids. DS especially seems to have sensitive skin. Just trying to not touch him. Eye hurt for a few minutes just. Capsacian is a fat saluble, so I'm about to try rubbing haha with olive oil to capture the capsacian and then wash thoroughly with dish soap to remove all the capsacian ridden oil. Should work in theory.

Depending on the natural composition of your skin oils, should work, theoretically. I'll cross my fingers for you. My skin oil traps everything, and only rubbing my hands on stainless steel (I have no idea why) releases stuff like onion and garlic stink. Stainless sinks work, but so do the big chef knives so long as you're really careful.

Depending on the natural composition of your skin oils, should work, theoretically. I'll cross my fingers for you. My skin oil traps everything, and only rubbing my hands on stainless steel (I have no idea why) releases stuff like onion and garlic stink. Stainless sinks work, but so do the big chef knives so long as you're really careful.
That works for everyone. I prefer hand washing a spoon instead of a chef's knife, less room for death.

Tomato Hornworms - 2 very different pics:

On my PEPPERS!! I thought they liked tomatoes! Oh, but wait! My new favorite bug, the parasitic wasp, has come to my aid - another wasp nursery.
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.11.38 PM.png

This one was not hit by the parasitic wasp...it went into the ground and formed a cocoon. a large cocoon... a hard cocoon. Yes, it died.
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.11.55 PM.png

@Sooner Magnolia - I made the squash flower recipe you posted, filled with mozzarella and anchovies. They were good! Even the teenager reached for another one after I told her there were anchovies in it!
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.12.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.12.19 PM.png

Pole Beans - aren't they pretty!
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.12.30 PM.png

Bush beans for drying - they are all getting dried on the plant before I pick them.
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.12.40 PM.png

I've seen blobs of stainless steel they call stainless soap sold at stores. When we cleaned fish as a kid we did this with knives and it worked.

Since our peach tree was ravaged by squirrels, I'm thinking more about how to repel the furry climbing and jumping rodents. I'm also have two native plumb shrubs and am wanting to add 1 or 2 more fruit trees and some berry bushes all along the same fence line. Any ideas how to keep squirrels away? Do they repellent granules really work? Is there something I can spray to repel them that won't impact pollinators, ours dogs or us when e eat the fruit? I know somebody on here hung cards sprayed with repellent in their orchard to fend off deer. Can I do that for squirrels?

Here's a mystery. Yesterday, I saw my one sugar baby watermelon had had its stem broken from the plant. It was probably not quite ripe, but nearly so. My hands were full, so I planned to get it today. I figured that it could be a cold snack for the chickens if nothing else.

Today I went up there to weed, and that melon is gone. No rind, no wet spot where the juice would have leaked out. Unless someone stole it (don't really think so, but who knows?), I don't know what animal would have taken it away. It was not quite the size of a basketball.

Any ideas? The only other melon on that plant is about the size of a baseball right now. I don't know if I'll get anything.

it was a 2 leg animal called homo sapiens who got your melon. any other animal would have left at least a piece of it.

Back
Top Bottom