What did you do in the garden today?

Broke a tooth this morning, no pain at all but I'll have to get to a dentist. Haven't been to one since we moved, we both got our dental work done before we moved while we still had dental coverage. Plus I'm extremely terrified of dentists so I'll need to build up my courage for a bit.

Trimmed Penny's toenails for the first time. It was a bit of a struggle but we all survived. She got a piece of velveta (her favorite) for her trouble.

Yesterday I trimmed about a third of the foliage off the tomatoes. I might cut the yellow pear tomatoes down completely, the flavor is so bland as to be about nonexistent. The Cherokee purple tomatoes have been great, ripened early and big flavorful fruit. The early girls were good flavor and early (duh:)), all of my paste types are really late. Probably at least partly my own fault, I waited to put the seedling in the ground till the garlic and shallots were mostly harvested. I'll just plant a few shallots and garlic this time so I don't have to wait.

That is almost identical to my new Whirlpool .
excuse me for being behind on this thread! I just want to mention that the internal parts are the same Chinese made parts in Maytag's and Whirlpool brands, likely more brands as well. I have replaced the pumps and other parts on several washers, my own and other family members machines. They were all the same parts, regardless of the brand. The pumps use to last 15 to 25 years when they were made in the USA. Now, they often fail in a few years. Good luck to everybody with new machines! I am in that category as well. I had to replace my Maytag's twice in the last 12 years, after multiple repairs to both, starting after just a few years, with either. My first Maytag lasted 25 years of heavy use, with only one repair in all those years, when it was about 20 years old. I do most of my own appliance repairs and noticed that the internal parts are the same across most brands these days. Just cheap junk, with lots of settings and "special features" made easy with the inexpensive to manufacture electronic circuit boards that are very compact, these days. The hyper inflated prices of the electronic control circuit boards as replacement parts is robbery! Replacing two or three parts, will likely exceed the cost of the machine when new, especially if you must figure in labor cost. The cheaply made pumps are luckily, not too expensive and are one of the most common repairs. Very easy to replace the pumps as well. The pumps have a filter basket that often just need the coinage and other junk, that often finds it's way into the machines, cleaned out. The filter "baskets" should be checked every year or two, especially if kids use the machines or you are having washing issues, but the electronics are working. Best wishes for us all with new washing machines! I love the features, just wish the parts were good quality , made in the USA, as they once were.

@Birdsonghill Haha! Reminds me of the scene in the movie Armageddon when the Russian cosmonaut loses his cool and starts yelling, "American components, Russian components... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!"

It is drizzling outside. Nothing substantial, just enough to knock the dirt out of the air and right onto my poor car. Sheesh, she needs a bath but I can't wash it here at home until we get the whole house filtration system installed. Will water a bit later, dump rv tanks, wash rugs that have been hanging out on a cart in the garden being sun sanitized. Busy day today.

Between all the repairs and my Mini farm needs, Fall planting and etc., I can't keep up with you guys! I have planted most of my fall/over winter crops. I still have garlic and a few more things to plant. Garlic usually does best for me planted in November or up to mid December. I covered a couple rows, with row cover fabric and weeded the newer plantings that have already come up. The okra, chiles, eggplants, mustard greens and carrots have been keeping me busy picking and processing them. I am smoking more chipotles and paprika today. The best lettuce I have had in months, are some "Anuenue" and "Capitan" volunteers, I picked this past Saturday, that came up on the back side of my house, growing out of hard ground and gravel! Happy gardening!

Been taking advantage of things to paint the chicken coop. Still have stencil to do on the back. The 4 babies I ordered are growing every day and should be ready to put in the coop in a week or so.
7207405C-B535-4920-9407-95C84408FBD9.jpeg
205C6367-9B0D-42A3-92BC-60AF3940AC6D.jpeg
914EE9F5-CFE1-4D3C-B3B6-C9EF92D08838.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom