What did you do in the garden today?

Question for you gardener peeps. Every year that I plant roma tomatoes, they get end rot. I heard that is from not enough calcium in the soil. Can I just grind up my chicken's egg shells and put those in the soil through the winter? Or is adding lime better? My garden is a raised bed that I add compost soil in from a community near me who lets people take it for free. It's mostly composted yard waste and leaves. I would love to hear your thoughts!
I use this but it may be cheaper from other vendors :idunno:
https://www.gurneys.com/product/fruit-boost-pelletized-calcium
1632796839048.png

Question for you gardener peeps. Every year that I plant roma tomatoes, they get end rot. I heard that is from not enough calcium in the soil. Can I just grind up my chicken's egg shells and put those in the soil through the winter? Or is adding lime better? My garden is a raised bed that I add compost soil in from a community near me who lets people take it for free. It's mostly composted yard waste and leaves. I would love to hear your thoughts!

bone meal

gypsum (does not change pH like Lime)

egg shells

oyster shells

all will add calcium.

I had blossom end rot too, added gypsum and oyster shells primarily, the compost has egg shellls in it. Bone meal added when I can find a good price. No blossom end rot!

@Sueby were you the one that was looking for ideas for a Christmas jam or jelly? I came across a recipe ( I have not made it yet). It is for " Caramel Apple Coffee Jam".
We don't drink coffee so I have to make a special effort to get some so I can make this. I think it sounds like something that a lot of people will like. If you are interested, let me know and I will write out the directions.
Yes! That was me. But I made a caramel apple butter last year, of course, so I was looking for something different this year. But maybe for next year, if you wouldn't mind sharing. The butter was delish so I'm sure it would be even better in a jam. :drool

This was the first year I didn't use my eggshell/aspirin/epsom/bone meal/ tomato mix when planting (I forgot to save shells all winter). This year I used a commercial tomato BER calcium suppliment. I got rot on all my Marzano hybrids, which are prone to it.
I've already got a gallon of shells saved up. I won't make that mistake again.

So I made 18 pints, 3 half pints (to give away) & 1 quart (that didn't fit in the canner) of hot sauce. All the mash I milled out is in the dehydrator, 3 trays. That ought last him a year or so. Course I say that, but he was eating a half pint in 2 days last year. Thankfully he doesn't like this batch as much. :lau

IMG_20210928_142035475.jpg IMG_20210928_142103998.jpg

@Sueby were you the one that was looking for ideas for a Christmas jam or jelly? I came across a recipe ( I have not made it yet). It is for " Caramel Apple Coffee Jam".
This one? I just made it. It was okay.. wish it was more caramel-y.
The final dimensions are 23' x 28'. That's small for a mostly 1-person garden, right? :lau
I only have about 500 sqft for veggies for myself.. that's not too shabby!
You could also try a different variety of roma. I've noticed some are more susceptible than others to BER. Granadero is not susceptible, but the seed is a bit pricey.

You could also try a different variety of roma. I've noticed some are more susceptible than others to BER. Granadero is not susceptible, but the seed is a bit pricey.
My tomatoes were terrible all around this year. My beefsteaks split before they were ripe, my cherries did the same, and the other kind(don't remember the name) grew such little fruit even though it was supposed to be a meatier tomato. Glad I have enough canned from last year to last me through winter

Back
Top Bottom