What did you do in the garden today?

I've heard if beech nuts but know nothing at all about them. What are they like? What do you use them for?
Apparently, you shouldn't eat too many raw because they can be toxic, but cooking gets rid of that. The few I have tried have a texture similar to macadamia nuts, and not very much of a flavor (they do taste like nuts, though).
They are kind of labor intensive, so most people don't bother with them.
Here's the website I've been using for the most part:
Beech Nuts Website

That's because nobody (or nothing) really likes chard. ;) :p:gig
To add to the chorus, I love chard but I honestly love mustard, kale, and collards more! And thanks for the link about tomato milling uses. I'm going to give it a try. Normally the chickens get most of it but they've had so many cracked tomatoes lately they won't miss it.

Let me know how it is. I think it sounds really good.

I made a batch of it today. Sent my hubby to the gas station for some coffee. Not sure if the coffee was strong enough. I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to pack the brown sugar or not so I 3/4 of the way packed it.
My husband said it tastes like your drinking coffee while eating a caramel apple. I didn’t get that vibe. But I do think the flavor is good. Waiting to see if it sets up firmer. Right now it’s a little soft, but not horribly so.

I dry mine in the oven and them crush into a powder and mix with baby aspirin, and epsom salts and bone meal.
3 dozen crushed egg shells. 2 cups bone meal. 1/2 cup Epsom salts and 10 smashed baby aspirin
At first I thought you were talking about drying your green beans in the oven and crushing them into a powder! 😳
Then I looked back and realized you were talking about egg shells. 🤣

I picked enough green beans to can another 5 pints! Every little bit helps. And thanks to everyone that gave me ideas on my roma's end rot. Looks like I'll start saving egg shells. Do I just grind them up and mix in the soil?

I saw on youtube a guy who burries old eggs in the garden. I burried even eggs that did,'t hatch. I also put egg shells in the compost pile.

Chicks are here! I was worried because it was 47 degrees when I got the call at 6am that they were in. The lady at the post office said no worries, everyone is good about caring for the birds & that the driver brought them straight inside first.

I called to order & said NO EXTRA CHICKS, I only wanted 3 & they promised. Uhhh, yep...
IMG_20210929_064027183.jpg

But they've had some nutridrench, are drinking, eating & know where the heat is. Everyone looks good to me, but I don't know babies.

IMG_20210929_063456818.jpg
IMG_20210929_065110872.jpg

Back
Top Bottom