What did you do in the garden today?

Mushrooms!
20E6C090-9934-44E8-8BD1-EA662F6CC4BB.jpeg

Dh is not sick, so he's outside busting pallets and assembling the chicken coop. I'm popping out now and then, but still got this dang flu fatigue dragging me down. My dad took my car to do some necessary maintenance on it. He says he doesn't trust the shops around here.

I am both fortunate and unfortunate enough to look much younger than I actually am. Combination of genetics and small build. When I walk into car shops they see dollar signs floating around my head.

Watered, and still waiting for a sign of life from the seeds I planted.

It's just 30F out there, but we got out in the garden and finally planted the walking onions. I covered them with some straw after planting and hope they come up in the Spring. We planted 26 store bought shallots too as an experiment. We also pulled the parsnips, many of which are very large and one that is just HUGE. We also harvested a whole bushel of Jerusalem artichokes. There at some really big JAs too. I'll take pics in a bit after cleaning them all.

We roasted the male Bourbon Red Turkey we raised this year, and he was tasty! No, not quite as plump as a Butterball type turkey, but he weighed just under 15 lbs dressed for the oven. He was approx 8 months old.
A beautiful bird at all stages, DP has wanted to raise our own turkey but I've held off. Is the flavor improvement like the flavor improvement you get with home raised chicken?
So yesterday I split a 12 pond turkey lengthwise . Cooked one half . Just right for 2 people . 2 meals yesterday and enough for 1 meal today .
Even when we cook a whole turkey (rarely anymore), I have gotten them cut in half with the spine removed (it stays in bottom of the roasting pan with the veg and neck). It cooks so much quicker that way and doesn't take as much space in the oven.
My niece always sends me home with the turkey carcass so that is boiling down in the stove this morning. Last night I got over 4 pounds of meat off of the 2 carcasses. 😳
She also sends me how with all the veggie scraps and peelings. I divide those between the chickens, rabbits and compost for the garden. I’m so happy that she always thinks of me and my animals and garden. 😁
That is so awesome! I've very envious, when we were back in Portland I'd cook for our friends and roast a lot of whatever meat I was serving on a bed of onions, carrots, and celery. That made the base of some really good soups.

- I just went out to the freezer and got the duck bones, a couple of turkey thighs and a package of beef cheeks. I am making stock!
Lettuce isn’t really what buns prefer. They’ll eat just about any vegetable greens and herbs though.
I still have a few celery, spinach, parsley, and other assorted greens here and there in the beds. The bunnies in the rabbitat get some every day. I'd say the parsley and celery greens are their favorite.
Just finished upcycling some older wool into a pair of mittens for my sister for Christmas. I dislike the pattern for cutting, so I'll create a new one, and one that will fit my slightly wider hands.
I gotta say that sounds so cool! Reusing yarn that was spun who knows when into new useful items. Very cool.

Just made lunch out of assorted leftovers and got the soup going. Cold and wet outside now but I've slowly been getting the beds cleared out and ready for winter planting. I have a shopping trip planned for tomorrow so I'll see if I can find any useful cold weather seedling to plop into the beds.

A beautiful bird at all stages, DP has wanted to raise our own turkey but I've held off. Is the flavor improvement like the flavor improvement you get with home raised chicken?

Even when we cook a whole turkey (rarely anymore), I have gotten them cut in half with the spine removed (it stays in bottom of the roasting pan with the veg and neck). It cooks so much quicker that way and doesn't take as much space in the oven.

That is so awesome! I've very envious, when we were back in Portland I'd cook for our friends and roast a lot of whatever meat I was serving on a bed of onions, carrots, and celery. That made the base of some really good soups.

- I just went out to the freezer and got the duck bones, a couple of turkey thighs and a package of beef cheeks. I am making stock!

I still have a few celery, spinach, parsley, and other assorted greens here and there in the beds. The bunnies in the rabbitat get some every day. I'd say the parsley and celery greens are their favorite.

I gotta say that sounds so cool! Reusing yarn that was spun who knows when into new useful items. Very cool.

Just made lunch out of assorted leftovers and got the soup going. Cold and wet outside now but I've slowly been getting the beds cleared out and ready for winter planting. I have a shopping trip planned for tomorrow so I'll see if I can find any useful cold weather seedling to plop into the beds.
It was actually a red wool swing coat from the early 50s. The whole thing was pristine, but upon inspection, the lining and seams were all dry rotted, but LOOK perfect. Meaning it wouldn't have lasted a wearing. For $4 at the local country thrift store I salvaged about 1.5 yards of high quality cardinal red wool.
I also picked up a larger 22W vintage wool coat from the early -mid 60s from Scotland that may have the same fate, also $4.

My buns love cilantro and dill. Like, gobble up as though they’re starving love it lol.

Back
Top Bottom