What did you do in the garden today?

Did any of you plant garlic in raised beds? My garlic, shallots, walking onions and Jerusalem artichokes are in raised beds that measure 4'×8'×2'. The beds are likely to freeze solid during the winter. I mulch on top to keep frost off any growth that decides pop it of the soil, but I hope these plants make it through the winter. It's my first winter with all of them.

Did any of you plant garlic in raised beds? My garlic, shallots, walking onions and Jerusalem artichokes are in raised beds that measure 4'×8'×2'. The beds are likely to freeze solid during the winter. I mulch on top to keep frost off any growth that decides pop it of the soil, but I hope these plants make it through the winter. It's my first winter with all of them.
That's exactly what I did last year in CO. I put maybe two inches of mulch on my garlic and I think every single clove I planted came up the next spring. The coldest we got last winter was... oh... 2F I think. No I'm not dropping a digit by accident, lol. Of course my outdoor beds were 8x8x1.5 last year. This year they're 4xstill building!x1.5. My garlic is coming up already and I'm not worried. I might throw a bit more mulch on them. Since I planted, the mulch has settled and it's looking a bit bare in spots.

@BReeder!, not any help here, the raised beds never freeze. But yeah I plant nearly everything in the raised beds.

So I was seeing to the ladies this morning when they all suddenly started yelling and were looking behind me. I figured it was the hawk come back but it was Inky (formerly known as Dead Inky) yelling and running along the side fence with Penny in more or less hot pursuit! I got Penny called off easily (she was not trying to catch her, just trotting after Inky) and caught Inky! I checked her over and it looks like other than missing feathers just above her tail and over her leg, she seems good. I saw what looked like pin pricks on one side but it looks like her feathers protected her. I fixed the broody cage but with lots of soft bedding and put it in the main pen, she'll need to cover those bald patches before getting with the rest of the ladies. I am so happy! Even if she has something hidden wrong and passes anyway, at least she is safe and warm and with her flock. :wee :wee :wee :wee :ya :ya :yesss: :celebrate:clap:love

INKY BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!! what a clever girl!
I know! Who knew she'd be so clever? And she avoided the cats, (who would hurt her if not kill her), Penny (who just wants something to run so she can chase), and me for 2 days. She's sitting in a nice nest of chopped straw in her cage.
Pretty cool and the pup let you know !
Exactly! We have a huge yard and I could have easily missed seeing her. As it was it took me a minute to understand I was seeing our lost girl and not some stray chicken.
INKY!!! Welcome home!!!
She truly seems happy to be home and safe with her buds.

Thanks all, I am foolishly happy she is home, I've been a little giddy all day.

Back
Top Bottom