What did you do in the garden today?

Seeds arrived from DollarSeeds today. The bags they are in are larger and dated with the year, which is helpful and unexpected from an economical supplier. I'm passed with what I recieved. The 20ish packs of seeds there takes care of most of my needs for this year. I'll be placing an order with Jung likely for some perennials for new flower beds. And I still need to get amish paste seeds.

Oh, one more thing... I mentioned the plant sale I attended last week. When I went back to pick up my pecan trees, the guy told me that the nurseries are having a very hard time keeping anything in stock because the food-based plants, shrubs, and trees are selling like hotcakes. Again, that can't be a coincidence....
Well fruit bearing trees aren't an instant supply, but I do think people are planting more of them over ornamentals, but getting fruit FROM them is a whole different story.

Well fruit bearing trees aren't an instant supply, but I do think people are planting more of them over ornamentals, but getting fruit FROM them is a whole different story.
Amen sister! Just yesterday I was trying to look up when I'm supposed to spray my apple and peach trees....and with what. I can never remember and then I either lose trees or end up with severely defoliated ones. I honestly don't know how our ancestors ever had any fruit make it to the dinner table.....

Today has been one big cluster..... Not only am I taking this super boring training class which means my work day is starting at 6:30 AM and going non-stop until 5 PM, but my male billy (named Black Peter) has decided to start attacking my roosters. Now, they've lived together peaceably for YEARS so I have no idea what is causing the current ruckus. I actually noticed him chasing one particular white roo a month ago or so. I thought Peter was just playing around and wouldn't seriously hurt anyone. He's never been aggressive....not even to humans. Even when my doe (named Black Dahlia) is in heat. He STILL has never butted anyone or anything. Well, today I walked outside briefly to find my white roo clearly injured. He's holding one leg up and the other has blood streaming down it. My first thought was maybe he got into a spurring scrap with my big black dominant rooster. Then I realized that Peter looked like he might have blood on his fur.... I can't tell for sure because his fur is black and he wouldn't come to me. But as I watched, Peter started chasing the big black roo the same way he was chasing the white one a month ago. I called to him and he stopped....but now I'm worried. I will have to catch the white roo when he goes to roost so I can check over the extent of his injuries. I can also catch the two goats more easily at night because they go inside to bed down. I will need to check them both over for injuries too.... I just really didn't need this TODAY of all days!:rant

*sigh*

OK, just went out to the coop. Managed to catch the roo. He is limping but I don't see any other injuries. He has dried blood all over his legs like he clearly spurred someone. I managed to catch the billy. He had one area of dried blood on his side but no wounds. I was unable to catch the doe who also has some blood on her. I will try again to catch her shortly....

OK, just went out to the coop. Managed to catch the roo. He is limping but I don't see any other injuries. He has dried blood all over his legs like he clearly spurred someone. I managed to catch the billy. He had one area of dried blood on his side but no wounds. I was unable to catch the doe who also has some blood on her. I will try again to catch her shortly....
I'm no expert... but to me it sounds like the rooster(s) attacked the goats, and the goats are now pissed off trying to show their dominance over them.
If roosters attack people and dogs, it's no real stretch to think that they'd attack the goats.

Back
Top Bottom