What did you do in the garden today?

Everything is just crap these days. I work in IT - we buy new printers & they poop the bed in a couple years, if we're lucky, yet I have ones 20 years old still cranking away like the day we bought them.

We need to go back to making chips here in the US. We used to, but then it was all shipped over seas - lesson learned there, Intel is on it in Ohio. I hope they follow thru & everyone follows after them.

Chickens are all buttoned up for what is now supposed to be a full on blizzard. I stuffed some filters in the vents, pulled outdoor feeders & filled food & water. I'll close run doors too when they go to roost to try & keep the snow out. They should be fine till I can dig them out in a couple days. :gigDH now has to work on Sun, so much for help cleaning up! :mad:
Planned obsolescence they call it. And, yup, I also heard Intel is building by Columbus/New Albany area. 3,000 direct jobs and an estimated 10,000 indirect jobs. Just not sure about who's getting those jobs. new Albany, I hear, is the wealthiest part of the country (?). I havent bothered fact checking that. Southern Ohio would benefit from this a bit better imo.

Planned obsolescence they call it. And, yup, I also heard Intel is building by Columbus/New Albany area. 3,000 direct jobs and an estimated 10,000 indirect jobs. Just not sure about who's getting those jobs. new Albany, I hear, is the wealthiest part of the country (?). I havent bothered fact checking that. Southern Ohio would benefit from this a bit better imo.
Yes, I blame Gillette... 😂 They were allegedly the company that started the disposable industry where items are much cheaper to simply buy new rather than fix or upgrade.

I built a top of the line Alienware desktop back in 2007. It cost me over $5k but that system generally stayed on-par or better than off-the-shelf offerings up for nearly 12 years. My son (an avid gamer) finally built a new one in 2019. I was honestly quite impressed it lasted that long....

Morning all. Just kicking back a little with a raging blizzard going on outside. DD and I are taking turns shoveling paths in the backyard for the dogs and a path to keep the chickens in liquid water. Air temperature is about 15F I’m not even looking at the wind chill. The snow is blowing into the chicken run through the ventilation openings. Half the girls are just hanging out inside the big coop. Not much time to do a whole lot more than rest in between shoveling sessions. I’m a horseradish fan as well @WthrLady, although I can’t fathom eating that much to need to grow it. I have seen pictures of huge HR roots. Impressive. My favorite is wasabi HR. The flavor is really nice once you get past the heat.

I used to live next to New Albany. It's the $$$$ zone. Les Wexner, Bath and Body Works/Victoria Secret, that's home. You should see their high school. It looks like a college campus. Back in the day the whole place was normal country/suburban living. Then it became THE place to live, and prices jumped, taxes sky-rocketed, and the old settlers were forced to move, priced/taxed out. Prices were high then, higher since, and will now be crazy. Although it takes YEARS to build one of those hyper clean plants for chips.

While I'll agree that other places in Ohio would have benefited more from the new plant, other places simply do not have the proximity and support system that being right outside of Columbus and CMH IAP do.

Morning all. Just kicking back a little with a raging blizzard going on outside. DD and I are taking turns shoveling paths in the backyard for the dogs and a path to keep the chickens in liquid water. Air temperature is about 15F I’m not even looking at the wind chill. The snow is blowing into the chicken run through the ventilation openings. Half the girls are just hanging out inside the big coop. Not much time to do a whole lot more than rest in between shoveling sessions. I’m a horseradish fan as well @WthrLady, although I can’t fathom eating that much to need to grow it. I have seen pictures of huge HR roots. Impressive. My favorite is wasabi HR. The flavor is really nice once you get past the heat.
You can buy HR in the stores here, like most places, but it's missing that certain smell and kick of fresh. It's like the difference of a hot house tomato and one freshly picked from the garden. Come February I CRAVE HR.
I started planting it for fun, then it took off, then the neighbors asked for fresh, then I saw how the deer kept from it, then it's just PRETTY! LOL

You can buy HR in the stores here, like most places, but it's missing that certain smell and kick of fresh. It's like the difference of a hot house tomato and one freshly picked from the garden. Come February I CRAVE HR.
I started planting it for fun, then it took off, then the neighbors asked for fresh, then I saw how the deer kept from it, then it's just PRETTY! LOL
My dad loved horseradish . I used to grind it fresh for him . He would put it in a jar with vinegar . I used to put a piece inside a duck for roasting - mostly for dad . I planted some last year mostly for the memories .

I have to agree with the freshness factor I buy a small jar and it’s not all that great and spoils quickly. The wasabi is available in powder form and you just add water. That is really good. And that keeps for longer time in the fridge.

That's a great idea for wasabi hr! DH would love that @Wee Farmer Sarah! I planted it 2 years ago & have never dug any up, I'm kind of intimidated by it. LOL

I just went out to check on the birds, both coops are snow free inside & both runs have just a bit of blowing snow in them. I threw out some scratch in the runs to make sure they'd come out - they only have food & water in the covered runs. I think we have about a foot already as it was coming in the top of my boots. DH is out making his first pass with the tractor. We have a couple neighbors to take care of too.

Back
Top Bottom