What did you do in the garden today?

@CaroleW you could relocate them when you catch them in the trap, I suppose. They do pollinate, but they will also destroy flowers that they are too big for:

'...the carpenter bee, due to its large size, is unable to enter the flower opening. Instead they become nectar robbers. Using their mouthparts they cut a slit at the base of corolla and steal away with the nectar without having pollinated the flower.'
from: https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/pollinator-of-the-month/carpenter_bees.shtml

I have 4 in my trap now. :yesss: Die you stupid little......! 🤭

Straw works so well, but the seeds it contributes are terrible. Hmm…I’ll have to see if there is “baked” straw. I’m currently sitting in the parking lot of a farm store, so I’ll go in and check.
Did you find it? Some of them have tack in them so after you water it in it doesn't blow away.

This is the stuff I usually get, trying a new brand this year tho...
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 5.31.44 PM.png

I just spent a good 4-5 hours cleaning the chicken coop. I haven't cleaned it well in months because of various reasons. I'm going to install poop boards in the next 2 weeks. Will make my life 1000x better.

Now I need a shower. Covered in dust and sweat...

I know that feeling. I bought some dedicated chicken coop coveralls and muck boots and never looked back! :D

Good afternoon all. It’s currently 100 degrees and won’t peak for another hour. Apparently I’m the worst grandmother ever! The poor kids have to walk home. I told them their Mom and uncle had to do it and they didn’t die. Their grandpa is out in it all day and he’s still alive. It won’t kill ‘em. Maybe I’ll forget to mention the ice cream in the freezer. Anyway, the Vitex seem to be doing ok after transplant and so far the fruit trees don’t look too bad. Most of the leaves on the comfrey I moved to full sun are crispy, but there are new leaves coming up :yesss: I’m chilling out watching something on Netflix until I have to make dinner. Night all

@CaroleW you could relocate them when you catch them in the trap, I suppose. They do pollinate, but they will also destroy flowers that they are too big for:

'...the carpenter bee, due to its large size, is unable to enter the flower opening. Instead they become nectar robbers. Using their mouthparts they cut a slit at the base of corolla and steal away with the nectar without having pollinated the flower.'
from: https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/pollinator-of-the-month/carpenter_bees.shtml

I have 4 in my trap now. :yesss: Die you stupid little......! 🤭
Good thought but I can't handle more on my list so won't be relocating any carpenter bees. Just need them to stop boring one of the main beams on our pole barn. Those traps should do it.

Found some local strawberry plants on Marketplace for $1 ea. Grabbed 2 dozen. Got them planted and mulched in. Might not pluck the flowers. :oops:

Filled another wagon with dock this afternoon. My back and elbow are yelling at me and another storm started rolling in. Still have another probable 2 wagon loads to pull.
View attachment 3112372
What a great deal!

Back
Top Bottom