What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning all. Storms finally cleared out overnight. Lusciously cool today. We got over an inch of rain in the last two days. Will finally get the summer squash and cucumbers planted today. I plan on attacking the weeds in the front yard today. Tomorrow is weed whacking and mowing the backyard again. The ticks are horrendous today. Must be from the rain.

I side-dressed my sweet corn with Ammonium Sulfate this morning and put down a thick layer of straw to help keep weeds at bay.... So the mulch topic is very timely.

Last summer I used wood chips. I found out that squash bugs LOVE wood chips. :barnieThis spring I raked last year's wood chips into piles and burned them all right in the garden. This took a few tries because everything was wet underneath. But I figured the garden would appreciate the ash and it would kill any bugs or larva that overwintered in the mulch. Then I tilled it all in with the soil.

This year I've laid down cardboard. After much contemplating I've decided to top the cardboard with wood chips again, except for certain places (like the corn, yacon plants, and zucchini) where I'm using straw instead. I'm hoping the cardboard will keep any seeds from germinating.

So I tried to mow near the beehives after supper . One hive was grumpy so I quit . Suited up this morning and finished . So I got stung yesterday and today my arthritis is better . Yes bee stings a known to help .
Bee stings scare the bee-jesus out of me anymore! I used to barely react to their stings, but the last couple of years I started swelling like crazy. I got bit on the thigh last year and my whole leg swoll up like a balloon, turned hard as a rock and hot like an oven. I ended up seriously sick from it. Doc said you can develop allergies to them from repeat stings and that can be life threatening.

I love love love that you have beehives! Just want to make sure you know that bee allergies can happen suddenly and be serious.

Bee stings scare the bee-jesus out of me anymore! I used to barely react to their stings, but the last couple of years I started swelling like crazy. I got bit on the thigh last year and my whole leg swoll up like a balloon, turned hard as a rock and hot like an oven. I ended up seriously sick from it. Doc said you can develop allergies to them from repeat stings and that can be life threatening.

I love love love that you have beehives! Just want to make sure you know that bee allergies can happen suddenly and be serious.
My wife is very allergic to stings . So I am aware .

Welp...checking on the red Russian kale and saw all of these!!!
Ugh
Should I use DE, neem oil? Both?!
1652805332178.png

Last edited:
@WthrLady I know this is from a while back - what kind of carpenter bee trap do you have? I need to get some traps too.

EDIT: NEVER MIND I just found your link again ...sorry!
And I got these boogers too!
Is there a trap that doesn't kill em?
Do these boogers serve a purpose other than drilling holes all in my new run?

So AFTER I planted 20 tomatoes today, the 10 day forecast changed yet AGAIN. A few hour stretches at 40 degrees shouldnt hurt them, right? I know it isn’t the greatest for growth, I just want to make sure I don’t have to cover them. It’s been 55-80 all week. Lowest high in the 10 days is 58 🙄 but otherwise high 60s-80s for highs.
I'm waiting till next week before the tomatoes go in the ground. I figured we would get another cold snap before memorial day. Always do. Expected to hit low 40s high 30s tonight and tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom