What did you do in the garden today?

Has anyone had experience growing goldenberries AKA gooseberries? We bought some of them at the grocery store, and as an experiment I put some in a paper towel to see if they would grow. Now, over a month later, they started growing! So I just planted them today. But just wondering if anyone else has grown them? When we saw them at the grocery store that was the first time I’d heard of them.
My dad grew them when I was a kid. We were living in Spokane Washington and he used them as a low hedge on one side of our property. They were very hardy, grew in native soil and very low maintenance. We used them about the same as rhubarb...pies, crumb cake, muffins...and of course fresh. Fresh and pies were my favorite from them.

Yeah, I’d rather be somewhere cooler too lol. Alaska seems a bit extreme though lol.
/spooky fingers. You all want to move to the south Oregon coast where it is not too hot nor cold and NewBoots can have her chicken/gardening colony...
/spooky fingers off

I don't know who posted the below (dang lack of a revert key):
More tomatoes on the biggest plant, the beans are ready to pick and there are more flowers on the plant, and one of the borage plants has little blue flowers all over it. The hibiscus has several flowers as well. The banana plant is growing new leaves so it’s pretty happy, and the second banana plant showed up yesterday.

But PLEASE post pics! Only some folks are posting garden/cooking/chicken/anythingelse pics and I'm jonesing!

I also picked up a sweet mint. I was told my peppermint is not the same and would not help with all the critters sucking up the kale.
Is that accurate?
Will the sweet mint help?
I dunno but our rabbits love mint!

In fact, I have a bag of horse treats, made with real mint oil, so strong you can smell it through the unopened bag, and the mice not only chewed into it, but ate half a bag full.
Oooo, mice with minty fresh breath!
I made from scratch Rhubarb muffins for the first time this morning.
Oh yes, recipe please, those look awesome!
Also, I’m going to pull weeds later, so don’t judge 😂
Great pictures! Your garden looks incredible, I am so itching for my fruiting vegetables, I've got squash, peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers in the greenhouse. They'll all go out within the next week.
Has anyone had experience growing goldenberries AKA gooseberries?
Not from seed but I've got gooseberries and we got some fruit last year. I combined them with the currants and made some lovely jelly. My gooseberries are a goldish burgandy color when ripe though.
I’ve used a borax and sugar mix on bad ant piles. Put it in a container tipped to the side so they can get in. Ants are gone in a day if it doesn’t rain.
Great stuff for ants for sure, indoors or out.

So I went out with Penny to start the day outside and I see Penny takeoff after something black. Realized it could only be one of the rabbits from the grow-out pens and when I hustled over there I saw that a feed bin had fallen off and all 7 of the bunnies were out, and had been out all night from the looks of it. Penny was sooo happy! Something to chase! Yay! She's not interested in attacking them but she loves chasing. One of the bunnies came right up to me to be picked up and put back in the pen. I got Penny back in the house and caught 4 more with a salmon net, they're so innocent they were pretty easy to catch once I saw them. Still 2 more loose but I know where one of them is and I'm betting I'll have it sometime today. No damage to the garden since most of it is in raised beds, but they zeroed in on the new honeysuckle DP had just planted a couple days ago and dug the dang thing up.

I got some tomatoes and sunflowers up-potted, the peppers aren't ready for that yet and the summer squashes are really mostly ready to go out but their bed isn't ready. I should have it all taken care of before the good weather goes to rain again.

The 3 grow bags came today so I got potatoes in those.

Baby spinach!
20220520_173828.jpg

Lots of baby cucs and baby lettuce!
20220520_173845.jpg

Some flowers on blueberry 1
20220520_173858.jpg

Lots of flowers on blueberry 2!
20220520_173905.jpg

Pickling cuc starting to do stuff
20220520_173910.jpg

🤭
20220520_180229.jpg

/spooky fingers. You all want to move to the south Oregon coast where it is not too hot nor cold and NewBoots can have her chicken/gardening colony...
/spooky fingers off

I don't know who posted the below (dang lack of a revert key):
More tomatoes on the biggest plant, the beans are ready to pick and there are more flowers on the plant, and one of the borage plants has little blue flowers all over it. The hibiscus has several flowers as well. The banana plant is growing new leaves so it’s pretty happy, and the second banana plant showed up yesterday.

But PLEASE post pics! Only some folks are posting garden/cooking/chicken/anythingelse pics and I'm jonesing!

I dunno but our rabbits love mint!

Oooo, mice with minty fresh breath!

Oh yes, recipe please, those look awesome!

Great pictures! Your garden looks incredible, I am so itching for my fruiting vegetables, I've got squash, peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers in the greenhouse. They'll all go out within the next week.

Not from seed but I've got gooseberries and we got some fruit last year. I combined them with the currants and made some lovely jelly. My gooseberries are a goldish burgandy color when ripe though.

Great stuff for ants for sure, indoors or out.

So I went out with Penny to start the day outside and I see Penny takeoff after something black. Realized it could only be one of the rabbits from the grow-out pens and when I hustled over there I saw that a feed bin had fallen off and all 7 of the bunnies were out, and had been out all night from the looks of it. Penny was sooo happy! Something to chase! Yay! She's not interested in attacking them but she loves chasing. One of the bunnies came right up to me to be picked up and put back in the pen. I got Penny back in the house and caught 4 more with a salmon net, they're so innocent they were pretty easy to catch once I saw them. Still 2 more loose but I know where one of them is and I'm betting I'll have it sometime today. No damage to the garden since most of it is in raised beds, but they zeroed in on the new honeysuckle DP had just planted a couple days ago and dug the dang thing up.

I got some tomatoes and sunflowers up-potted, the peppers aren't ready for that yet and the summer squashes are really mostly ready to go out but their bed isn't ready. I should have it all taken care of before the good weather goes to rain again.
I posted the unremembered part. Here ya go. I don’t have current pics of the banana but it’s still a little thing. I have a second one that needs transplanting so will get pics of those tomorrow. Sorry if these are fuzzy, it’s pretty windy here
2B327714-DB79-47D9-A8A0-8A05E3BFB389.jpeg
9CA2B652-CF8D-4EB5-BC86-9945C5A75986.jpeg
19A30725-4A3B-44D0-8CC8-04A62800000A.jpeg
5D1A3A04-32C9-44DC-A5CC-4C1EDEB177D5.jpeg
F76ED5D2-B471-40F2-84E4-33978DAB6EE4.jpeg

I got all the weeds out of the strawberry beds and moved them to the chicken run. :gigThe deer really did a number on the strawberries this year, so a lot of the beds were bare. I planted the rest of the onion sets I had in them. When the onions come up, I'll fill in other bare spots with basil. They all get along.

Most of the potatoes I planted mid-April have sprouted. A few of the ones I planted April 28th have sprouted. A little too soon to be looking for the ones I planted two weeks ago, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom