What did you do in the garden today?

Lavender is a tricky beast to get going.
As for the mint, I've NEVER had the wives tale of mint deterring critters, actually work.
In fact, I have a bag of horse treats, made with real mint oil, so strong you can smell it through the unopened bag, and the mice not only chewed into it, but ate half a bag full.
Same here, both the lavender & mint! We have more mice than you could imagine & nothing deters them so we just set traps. & All different kinds because they figure them out!
Lavender hates me. I've been trying for 2 years to get it to grow. I've seeded it. I've bought plants already started. It just goes toes up and dies no matter what I do. :confused: I had two seedlings that I started this spring and one plant that I bought from the market that are still alive (barely). Hoping they make it.
Hates me too. I buy new plants every year & they die over the winter. :barnie I even bough nice big plants last year & mulched them good & they died. I'd give up but I, and the bees, love it so I will try again.
Has anyone had experience growing goldenberries AKA gooseberries? We bought some of them at the grocery store, and as an experiment I put some in a paper towel to see if they would grow. Now, over a month later, they started growing! So I just planted them today. But just wondering if anyone else has grown them? When we saw them at the grocery store that was the first time I’d heard of them.
I grew them & then dug the plant up last fall. I didn't like them, it's a texture thing. They grow native here & do super well, very easy to care for & they put out a ton of berries. But they were icky to me. I put them in a fruit jam last year & then dug up the bush & got rid of it. I have limited space in the garden & decided on a blueberry bush instead. Mine had big spikes on it & it hurt!

@MACCanadianCoop - did u get the kitty as a start or did you use seeds?🤭

Took a walk thru the garden, everything I reseeded is coming up nicely now that the squirrels can't get to it. I expect everything to take off with the heat this weekend & the rain we just had. Not a great sprout rate on the Suyo Long cukes I planted, disappointing, but a few have come up. I will feed everything when I have to water next.

Just popping in to say Stark Bros is having a free shipping weekend, and a number of items, especially bare root items, are on sale. Have a lovely weekend everybody! I'm going to see about fertilizing the garden and working on some additional garden beds. This is the weekend to do it, last cool weekend (if I had to guess) of the year until we get our first fall days sometime in September/October. 88 today. 67 tomorrow! 😀

I bought a couple of jostaberry plants last year, I haven't planted them out yet, I potted on shortly after getting them and they have just recently shot up over the past few months. Hoping they will make a nice hedge at one end of one of my allotment plots. Have you had any fruit off of yours yet? Are they nice?
I should have said that I'm trying to grow them.

I bought two (TSC) last year, forgot where I planted them, and nearly killed them with a rototiller this spring. So they're not nice, but they're trying to grow back. I also got two new... rooted cuttings? I'm not going to call them "bushes," (Guerney's) because I read that they produce better when pollinated by a plant that isn't a clone. So we'll see.

Good afternoon gardeners. Just finished the last grocery store run. Stopped at the greenhouse down the road to pick up replacements for the SM tomato starts and eggplants. They didn’t do well in this bout of cool weather. The other tomatoes are doing well. So is the kale and chard and pretty much everything else. Getting ready for lunch then will be installing window AC units. It’s not too bad right now. Outside is 79F and very humid. Inside just 70F. Tomorrow may be brutal with temps going up near 100F. Ugh!

Last edited:
Went to the grocery… with in-store savings and a few coupons I saved $107….but my bill was over $230!!! most expensive grocery trip in recent memory. 😳. (Except Costco trips, of course). Yikes!!! So, Did I really NEED the ice cream?? Yes, yes I did, and it was on sale. No judging 😇.

Garden needs to produce!!!

Girls need to lay those eggs- the Feb chicks (which include 6 high production types and 12 heritage types) are 12.5 weeks old, so I’m hoping for eggs in a few weeks from the high productions ones at least!

And the adult kid needs to move out…should be this week. Landlord is updating apartment and electric doesn’t turn on until Monday. So, having one less person to feed will also be a help.

Went to the grocery… with in-store savings and a few coupons I saved $107….but my bill was over $230!!! most expensive grocery trip in recent memory. 😳. (Except Costco trips, of course). Yikes!!! So, Did I really NEED the ice cream?? Yes, yes I did, and it was on sale. No judging 😇.

Garden needs to produce!!!

Girls need to lay those eggs- the Feb chicks (which include 6 high production types and 12 heritage types) are 12.5 weeks old, so I’m hoping for eggs in a few weeks from the high productions ones at least!

And the adult kid needs to move out…should be this week. Landlord is updating apartment and electric doesn’t turn on until Monday. So, having one less person to feed will also be a help.
I WISH we had coupons here. Not that you can't use them, they just aren't out there like they were in Ohio.
I'm running about $170 for three adults for a week. 27 meals

Back
Top Bottom