What did you do in the garden today?

Upper 60s and sun today, which is good because my tomatoes have stopped growing up! lol. TONS of rain tomorrow and then hot and humid for the weekend. I hope this is our turning point and we head into summer, the 30s and 40s at night are making it impossible to grow anything but onions and lettuce.

Will be doing some weeding today. Eggplant and cauliflower transplants aren't doing great, might need to pull and put in something else like kale, tomatoes or peppers :) Mint is growing so well, love all the different scents, will be making some tea today!

Good morning gardener. I managed to mow the front and backyards yesterday. Will save the trimming until tomorrow. I planted some replacement starts yesterday afternoon then watered this morning. Both my acorn squash and cucumbers are sprouting. The only things left are the zucchini and yellow squash plants. I moved the laundry until today so I can get rested up (LOL!) for the weed whacking tomorrow. I need to get a boatload of cleaning done both inside and outside. I ordered another, and hopefully the last, birdbath. The paint is peeling off the inside of the basin on the current one and it leaks. This will become another plant stand. My orange azalea is in full bloom again so I know my day lilies will be blooming soon. My potatoes are growing like crazy. Much better than last year. I'm looking forward to a nice harvest this year. Have a great day all.

One of the primary things that preppers prep is Peanut Butter. So, I'm watching to see how many other prepper items are recalled.
So here I sit with 3 large containers of Jif peanut butter that are now all recalled.
I labeled it and will use it for cooking. We ate 2 whole containers of it already and didn't die or get sick.
Well I wasn't concerned bout it enough to go look in pantry. Went and finally got groceries fir first time in month or so since we canceled our vacation since grandkids have covid, again.
Got home to new creamer cuz I ran out...toasted me a bagel and thought I'll add peanut butter! Then noticed it's JIFF...lol almost gone but still Jiff. I took a bite n thought maybe I'd better check to see if it's on the recall. It is! But I'm still kicking so I enjoyed my bagel with peanut butter!
I'm not a conspiracy person either but I do find it extremely interesting how so many things are happening all around our country in particular. From vinegar and honey factories to now peanut butter and formula.
On to the garden...that soaker of a rainwater we got over weekend was desperately needed! Then a good old shower Sunday just for good measure!
Took Joey out to peruse the garden with me...darn rooster won't eat a green worm from the kale for nothing! My old rooster Mango would never pass one of those up!
So picked bout 5 off and crushed em. I didn't see the other critters this time so not sure if the caterpillars ate em or what. :confused:
I have a few unidentified plants that the labels withered away on...so not sure what they are but thought couple were broccoli. Some were supposed to be sage and that dang cilantro I think bit the dust again!
And the dang ground hog came for more last night. Ugh

@WthrLady - thanks for the reminder! Just ran down to the garden and put out some bone meal... Storms should be here around lunch to water it in!

The new rain barrel...

20220524_103546.jpg

20220524_103552.jpg

In these 20 gallon pots, I covered an upside down round colander with a micro fiber cloth and filled the sides with coarse lava rock about an inch above the water level. I placed a 14"x 2" heavy duty round water reservoir under the pots and stringed 3 of them together with 3/8 vinyl tubing to a stacked 5 gallon bucket with a float valve installed on the bottom bucket to control the level of the water. I also drilled 4 holes (3/8 inch) on the bottom sides of the 20 gallon pot, so the water could enter the pots.

The cucumber, Molokai sweet potato, local disease resistance water melon and malabar spinach are growing with out watering the pots from the top. However, I refill the 5 gallon water reservoir every so often. I've been soaking granular fertilizer in the water with a small bag. These bags are wonderful. They are long lasting and come in many different sizes. I use them to cover things my chickens will eat like egg plant, tomatoes, cucumbers etc.

I bought the cheapest pack of small float valves, bottom tray, 3/8 tubing and fittings from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XOSHR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Note: If these 20 gallon pots were new, I would not need the bottom tray. I bought these 20 gallon pots from Costco a long time ago and they didn't have any drain holes when I got them.
DSCN0537.JPG

DSCN0538.JPG
DSCN0539.JPG
DSCN0541.JPG
DSCN0540.JPG

Last edited:
Okay the lightning is cool to look at, but I would have been hiding in my house and well away from windows. Everything shocks me all the time, so when there are electrical storms my butt hides.

Fertilized yesterday. Didn't get done all that I wanted to get done (story of life ain't it?) but got that done. DS was being 3 going on 13 yesterday and it was, generally speaking, a really bad day. Also the baby is teething and so she won't settle for her outdoor playpen but cries for me to carry her instead. Too hard to shovel dirt while wearing a baby 🤣

Thanks yall for whoever (can't remember too many pages ago) said something bout feeding the potatoes!
Got that done!
Finally got the mystery stuff transplanted....can't wait to see what it is LOL!
Got the lavender I bought planted! Man I hope it survives!
And seeded okra, black zucchini squash and a handful more of cilantro since I never have found what happened to the last THREE batches I've planted! Go figure!
Gotta get a better system in place before January!

Back
Top Bottom