What did you do in the garden today?

Just a couple pictures...
Oh wow, I love your ladder-type planter! Everything else looks nice, too.
And, I'm thinking about NOT mulching the cardboard inside the hoop house. I figure I have less of a chance to spread disease to the tomatoes if it's cardboard. Same goes with the squash. Anyone see any issues with this? What might the biggest concern be? Cardboard breaking down more quickly?
Maybe, just from walking on it, so having to layer more on in the fall. In a hoop house where nothing's getting rained on unless you water it, anything you put between the plants that's dry when you put it in, should be safe.
Going fishing this weekend . A test run on traveling .
Fishing is one of the best activities for your health.
Not trying to be funny here. Fishing is relaxing and good for your brain even if you're not successful - the quiet but concentrated demeanor you need to have to catch fish is really good for you. And in between the times you hook one on and achieve landing it, just having time with your thoughts in a beautiful natural place by a lake or river, can't be replicated in a gym or with a pill.
Unless you're one of those competitive fishers zipping around in speed boats to fight each other for the biggest bass in the lake (they don't deserve to be considered real fishers, in my opinion) if you respect the future of your local fishery and the lifecycle of the fish by taking your fair share, there's no healthier meat you can eat.

Fishing saved my life many years ago, when I was going through an ugly divorce and everything else I loved was at risk.

Fog is so thick out there this morning, you could cut it with a knife. I had to kick the air scrubbers on last night as someone was burning leaves or trash, and this morning I kicked on the air conditioner to get the humidity out of the air. We're heading for the upper 80s.

Tomato sales start this afternoon and through the weekend.

All the dust/dirt/mold etc from shearing day has be head clogged and just as foggy as the outdoors.

Still nothing planted in the garden. Large storms coming this weekend, so I'll plant Tuesday. It's too soggy out there right now anyway. They'd drown.

Have a great weekend all.

Did a quick walk-thru and “helped” some peas find the trellis. Supposed to rain on & off today and tomorrow. Planting some pole beans after the rain, lettuce is big enough to harvest a head or two! Cukes, zuccs & squash are sprouting, will get them out once they get some leaves, and cover them with row cloth for pest control. I need to weed but will probably wait another day or two. Saw a few flowers on tomatoes already! Seems really early for that, but it has been abnormally warm for NY.

Forgot to mention something about the 2 broccoli plants I left uncovered because I didn't have the last row cover completed. I mentioned the leaves were a bit chewed up. Well, the day before yesterday I looked at them closer and realized that they are loaded with cabbage loopers. 🤬 I sprayed them with BT but it rained an hour or so later. Going to spray them again with more BT today. The other plants (the ones that were covered) are still pristine...

Oh, and I added some mulch on the cardboard outside the hoop house because the soaked cardboard started tearing from the high winds yesterday. This doesn't seem to be a problem inside the hoop house because the netting is acting like a wind block and breaking it up.

Back
Top Bottom