What did you do in the garden today?

Morning berries...also had one pattypan squash and one yellow pepper but my little boy ate the pepper before it made it inside.
20220625_094103.jpg

Like @TJAnonymous my squash & cukes are covered/under bug netting so I have no choice. I do love bug free (so far) plants tho! This is my first year trying it, so far so good. I'm thinking of covering my rutabaga too as @Acre4Me says the loopers like them (I think that's what she said!) but if I don't get moving it'll be too late, lol.
Oh yes!! Rutabaga is wildly loved by the cabbage looper! Cover those babies!

Japanese beetles arrived yesterday. I thought I had 2 traps, but have found only 1, which I put up.

Sweet potato slips look good, some had their leaves wither so I am hopeful they will put out more leaves - I remind myself they are related to morning glory, which bounces back from just about everything.

Garlic looks great - leaving it in for a bit longer. Have two heads of fresh garlic and some onions to the neighbor.

Watered the newest fruit trees - the ground was surprisingly drier than expected there. On to the tomato and pepper beds for watering now (soaker hoses). Need to dig up the older strawberry bed to get it ready for something else. But, it’s hot…. Might get rain tomorrow, but still need to water today.

Still only getting 2-3 eggs per day. Come on girls….LAY SOME EGGS!!!

...there's such a thing as late tomatoes?

As a northerner, I thought tomatoes just produce until they die of cold? Do they stop when they get too old?

Should I move south?
Staggered planting and if you keep them from freezing the indeterminates will keep going. The determinates are more fun to stagger plant as they reach an age and then die. So early august they're done. SO I'll plant more of them 1st week of July to still get determinates until freeze.

Down in Florida we had tomatoes all year around. (Except the year it froze and I forgot to cover.)

Last edited:
You’re so sweet to feed the skeeters :gig

I’m finding it interesting that so many folks are using shade in places I never thought they would need it.
Combined with our unholy winds, it's a convection oven here in the summer. It's just harder on the plants than it needs to be and if it protects from some hail too, that's a bonus.
Speaking of which, next town to my nw had 10 minutes of golf ball sized hail. That's more ethanol crops destroyed.

Haha yeah so does my little one it's a fight to get anything out of the garden without bites taken out of it! He did pick and eat his own berries this morning...pretty simple breakfast snack
Grazing in the garden for breakfast is the way to go! We do that a lot.

@Wee Farmer Sarah
If you want local news and have a roku I think Sling has some local stations on it for some areas... that's 35 a month. Hmmm and I wanna say Hulu live does local news but it's expensive at 65. We've combed thru the streaming services mainly for kids cartoons and movies....radio for the news, my mom says I've gone back in time in some ways
Sorry, but the point of cutting cable is to minimize costs. Just having the internet is nearly $100 per month. Add in additional cost of streaming services will put you back into the same expense as regular cable. There are less expensive even free apps for streaming.

Back
Top Bottom