What did you do in the garden today?

Greece is mostly flaming hot and dry right? I went to college with some kids that had lived there and they said Florida was cold by comparison. So... I'd imagine any fruit trees that do well in equatorial regions could do well there, with proper watering etc. Guava maybe?

And, you're welcome! (I don't like loquats either honestly)

we do get some frost in winter. it is hot in summer, and I don't think we have guavas here.

I'm not interested in growing an enormous pumpkin, and exactly how would we get it out of the garden at the end of the season?
I think there's a time lapse somewhere in this thread - put it on a pallet before it's too heavy to move, then you just need a forklift :lau
OH! I nearly forgot to mention my victory! I've been trying for 2 years to successfully grow a pineapple plant from a top cut from a store-bought fruit. Every time it's failed... Til now! View attachment 3166119

I have 2 tops I've been cultivating for months now... One of them FINALLY put off 3 pups!!! I'm so happy! I'll need to repot it into a bigger container very soon. Not sure yet on the 2nd one but it doesn't look promising.
The one with pups you can split up whenever you like - all 4 plants should fruit eventually, it takes 2 years at minimum. Note a lot of the imported pineapples have the center drilled out or have fungus issues, so it's likely not your fault you haven't had success till now.
I am thinking I should plant fig trees at my new place. it seems nothing attacks their leaves. any other hot climate no spraying fruit trees?
Cherimoya, lemon/strawberry guava (more cold hardy than normal guava), feijoa, dragon fruit. Maybe banana, some are hardier than others. I never had to spray any of those. What's your typical minimum winter temperature?

Good morning gardeners. Another busy day ahead. Time to wash the dog. Yay! The garden is looking good. Only picked a small radish today. Tomorrow I’ll be picking lettuce and chard. Disappointed by my tomatillo experiment. I found that it was a really big toad attacking the tomatillo plants. Then it was cucumber beetles munching on the sole survivor. I was so happy to see flower buds developing on the plant this morning. The sad part is you need at least two plants to pollinate each other. Wah! On the upside, my Meyer Lemon tree has two lemons developing and the orange tree has about 5 oranges.

View attachment 3166555View attachment 3166556View attachment 3166557
Here’s the toad.
4B44C1DB-B832-4D43-BA40-71710CCC4899.jpeg

The one with pups you can split up whenever you like - all 4 plants should fruit eventually, it takes 2 years at minimum. Note a lot of the imported pineapples have the center drilled out or have fungus issues, so it's likely not your fault you haven't had success till now.
I'm going to have to look up how to split off a pup. Looking at it closer today, it actually has 4 pups on it.

20220628_162626.jpg

I'm going to have to look up how to split off a pup. Looking at it closer today, it actually has 4 pups on it.

View attachment 3167191
After watching a video, I've learned these are actually suckers, not pups (slips) but they can still grow a pineapple. I will let them grow out a little more before removing all but 1 of them.

View attachment 3167191

I will need frequent updates. 😆
I've never grown pineapple because I don't have that kind of patience for a single fruit, lol! I'm very intrigued though!!

I cut my crown into 4 quarters and cut a little off the tip part of the core then stuck in potting soil. They all rooted and are growing. I watched a video on YouTube before I did it.

I like the way your full crown grew shoots out from the sides, you probably could plant them like the crown when they are ready.

Back
Top Bottom