What did you do in the garden today?

I didn't plant any butternut squash last year. I got about 8 usable butternut squash from the volunteers in the compost bin!

Dang! The only time I've caught a coon I didn't even know it was around, I had the trap out for woodchucks.

Yeah but you got it done! And it looks like a fine job.

Sometimes it depends on the area. Some things that are annuals here are perennials in warmer climates.

Ooh, how many chickens do you suppose you'll harvest from it?
Ooh, how many chickens do you suppose you'll harvest from it?
(LOL that's what I wondered too.)

Plucked squash bugs off squash vines last nite in the Lazy Garden - tried to have the chickens eat them but not sure if they got any of them. They sure love the pigweed tho (about the only green thing growing that they will eat right now).

I was looking at all my tomato suckers to see if any more rooted (some of these are hybrids and some I can't find/buy seeds for right now)- all these have rooted well--
Snow White
Sungold
Sun Suger
Bloody Butcher

Only one that hasn't rooted is Tumbling Tom (maybe the suckers were just too small.

And the defoliated Moringa seedlings have ALL started to grow leaves again!

I am thinking I should plant fig trees at my new place. it seems nothing attacks their leaves. any other hot climate no spraying fruit trees?
I'm in a 9a zone and Barbados cherry grows really well for me. They're pretty tasty and self fruiting. They handle frost after the first couple of years and a blanket thrown over them gets them through the tender baby time. I've never had a bug problem with mine. I grow them in pots and they handle that well and still fruit too.
Anyone ever grown Blue Salvia? I picked up a little plant for 25 cents from the clearance aisle. Do they reseed themselves? This was marked as an annual but everything I see online suggests it is a perennial.
My blue salvia dies back in the winter and regrows from the roots in the spring. I haven't had any of it self seed though...but it's hardy! Your pineapple looks great! I grew them from tops for years but now all of the pineapples have little tags punched into the core at the base and I rarely get one to grow anymore. ☹️ I've never had one make suckers until after it fruits...bet that one's going to be pretty 😍

Have relatives flying in for a week this Friday so I'm tidying up the garden this morning and mopping floors during the heat of the day. We have a huge old pine tree in the yard and there's little pine needles everywhere right now!

Picked more hornworms off my poor garden huckleberries this morning. This is the third time this year that the bugs have gone after them. It amazes me to go out one morning and it looks fine...and the next morning half the plants are bare little stems with fat happy caterpillars clinging to them. 😡 Think I need to get some bug netting over them.

Is this after watering them?

I should say so! I got outta breath just thinking bout all that!!!
Question on blueberry bushes...if they are a yr or 2 old do they need watering regularly still or r the roots deeper like established trees?
I've been told blueberries need 2-3 yrs to become firmly established. I don't know if that's just in my area or everywhere but I water mine every time I water the garden. They need well draining soil because they don't like wet feet so I ensure they are well watered but that the excess drains off.

Posted this in the harvest thread also.

Anyone know what this is? It is hanging on the leaf of one of my potatoes. Looks like a tomato. Definitely off of a potato leaf…

48352AB1-AB32-45DA-A74E-32BAAF9EA634.jpeg

Having a bit of a bummer this morning. My 9 month old mutt pup killed one of the young chickens (4-5 months old) that made the fatal mistake of going into the backyard. I'm bummed because he caught one about a month or more ago and I disciplined him so he let it go. He hadn't touched one since even though they regularly squeeze under the fence everyday to munch in the backyard. I'm even more aggravated that he must of done it while I was in the barn prepping the morning feed and I didn't hear it!

Went out to the garden this morning to water everything. My 2nd yr Flaming Red Dogwood went toes up and died for no discernible reason. It was doing great and watered regularly so I don't understand why it just suddenly died. I'm really sad because it was going to be a beautiful tree....

Still have WAY too many JB on my grapes. Picked off over a half dozen but several got away. Traps are working though....

This is a few remnants from today's harvest. Not much going on... Tomatoes are SLOWLY starting to ripen. Zucchini aren't fruiting well anymore but I am starting to get a few cukes now. Hoping to make some bread and butter pickles soon...

20220629_092630.jpg

RANT ALERT....
5R2XVoMUnUmhxX5dWI.gif

My DH just called and told me he went to inspect one of the largest food banks in the area and THEY HAD NO FOOD. The manager said they've seen a dramatic increase in people NEEDING food from the food bank than ever before and they have nothing to give these people...

And yet I'm having to THROW AWAY eggs because I have too many and no one is buying them even though my prices are cheaper than the store. How aggravating is that? I can't even GIVE eggs away and the food bank can't take them because of state law & USDA regulations.

There's something SERIOUSLY wrong with this world.....

END RANT....
eMs9h9XYK7v7TyNa8x.gif

RANT ALERT....
View attachment 3167856

My DH just called and told me he went to inspect one of the largest food banks in the area and THEY HAD NO FOOD. The manager said they've seen a dramatic increase in people NEEDING food from the food bank than ever before and they have nothing to give these people...

And yet I'm having to THROW AWAY eggs because I have too many and no one is buying them even though my prices are cheaper than the store. How aggravating is that? I can't even GIVE eggs away and the food bank can't take them because of state law & USDA regulations.

END RANT....
View attachment 3167860
Can you leave a sign at the food bank that if anyone wants a gift of eggs to call you? Some regulations are out of control. 😡

RANT ALERT....
View attachment 3167856

END RANT....
View attachment 3167860
It's the same here.

Back
Top Bottom