What did you do in the garden today?

Regarding the food bank not taking eggs. I can see their point of not taking eggs because of egg handling or other regs and liability issues (government and insurance can make their life hell).

I too can't give eggs to the shelter where my church volunteers for similar reasons. We should all start developing our own sort of grapevine network with friends and neighbors to be able to get our abundance where it is truly needed. It may not be thru official outlets and that can be a good thing - it may force people to develop relationships with an actual person. Maybe people who are afraid of my homegrown food really don't need it.

NOTE: Me, my neighbors, my dogs and chickens eat very well when there's an abundance of eggs that I can't sell.

Last edited:
I've been told blueberries need 2-3 yrs to become firmly established. I don't know if that's just in my area or everywhere
I think that is pretty standard for blueberries everywhere. They want somewhat acid soil. You can dump your used coffee grounds around them if the soil isn't acid enough.

I can't even GIVE eggs away and the food bank can't take them because of state law & USDA regulations.
That is very very sad.

Can you leave a sign at the food bank that if anyone wants a gift of eggs to call you? Some regulations are out of control. 😡
:goodpost:
Excellent idea

🤣🤣 hmmm 🤔maybe like 20 or so
That would be a nice crop! I hope no pests attack the chicken plants and you have a good harvest. Did you succession plant so you don't get all 20 at the same time?

Can you leave a sign at the food bank that if anyone wants a gift of eggs to call you? Some regulations are out of control. 😡
I'm not sure they are allowed to do that... But I WILL find a way. I'm determined. I just washed up and candled (12) 18-packs of eggs and (2) dozen. That's just eggs from the past week - 10 days. I candled them because I had some broodies who've turned on the oven and I wanted to weed out any where development may have started. (I have probably 2-3 dozen of those....)

I *really* need to get rid of some broodies! Waaaaay too many chickens!

Regarding the food bank not taking eggs. I can see their point of not taking eggs because of egg handling or other regs and liability issues (government and insurance can make their life hell).

I too can't give eggs to the shelter where my church volunteers for similar reasons. We should all start developing our own sort of grapevine network with friends and neighbors to be able to get our abundance where it is truly needed. It may not be thru official outlets and that can be a good thing - it may force people to develop relationships with an actual person. Maybe people who are afraid of my homegrown food really don't need it.

NOTE: Me, my neighbors, my dogs and chickens eat very well when there's an abundance of eggs that I can't sell.
I use a lot of extra eggs for the dogs, chickens, etc. Even put a bunch in the compost... We certainly eat well between our garden, chickens, living in a small town with low cost of living, and we've been blessed with good careers.

I understand the liability issue. Lord knows I worry about getting sued when I give away eggs or even sell them. But I feel you can't let fear or government bureaucracy justify letting people starve. I don't want that on my conscience so at least I will try to do something.

I'm not sure they are allowed to do that... But I WILL find a way. I'm determined. I just washed up and candled (12) 18-packs of eggs and (2) dozen. That's just eggs from the past week - 10 days. I candled them because I had some broodies who've turned on the oven and I wanted to weed out any where development may have started. (I have probably 2-3 dozen of those....)

I *really* need to get rid of some broodies! Waaaaay too many chickens!
Maybe you should sell some hatching eggs or chicks.

One thing I'll add.... This state has an ENORMOUS economy around poultry so it is very likely that special interests have lined the pockets of the state legislature and state/fed agencies who govern the policies that prevent me from giving eggs to food banks and other organizations. You CAN sell your eggs at the farmers market though. So it's possible that I can figure out a way around the system. Luckily my DH works in state government and is one of many who do inspections so he can tell me the loopholes.

One of my Mason bees and a couple of my much smaller Leafcutter bees gittin'-r-done with the first sunflower of the season.

The year's first cantaloupe and sweet corn ("Silver King").

20220629_112959.jpg

The pollination was quite spotty on one of the ears and there was a little bit of corn earworm damage to all 3, but it looks like I got to it with the BT last week soon enough to keep that to a minimum, and dealt with by just cutting off the damaged tips. After 5 minutes in some boiling water it was tender and very sweet. I'll plant this again.

20220629_114637.jpg

After a little bit of fridge time we tried the cantaloupe. While ridiculously juicy and plenty sweet, it lacked the heady perfume aroma that I remember from the variety ("Ambrosia"). I think it was picked just a day or so too early, and needs to go without irrigation for a couple of days in order to develop and concentrate the aromas and flavors. Next time.

20220629_113629.jpg

My quality assurance manager awarded both the much-coveted Granddaughter Seal of Approval.

Back
Top Bottom