What did you do in the garden today?

I finally figured out how to take the string off my chicken feed bags without cutting. I looked closely at the end of the string on the top and bottom of the bag and noticed that string end is tied into multiple knots on the bottom, but there is one end on top that can be pulled off...............Who would have thought they made them that way?

Last edited:
Anyone who saw the arrow that says "pull narrow tape" on the top corner of the bag pointing to the white "paper" strip ?
My Hawaiian Grain bags don't have the arrow, I always knew how to open them, but sometimes it didn't work. I just found out that the bottom of the bag is sealed, so the string doesn't unravel. The Hawaiian Grain bag has a chicken printed in the middle of the bag to identify the top. I didn't give it much thought until 4 years latter...........

:he

Last edited:
Honestly I don't trust ANY news from any source anymore. They all have a hidden agenda. They all spin "evidence" to fit whatever narrative they want people to embrace. But what I do trust is seeing what is happening in my local level community. It's alarming when the biggest food bank in the area is empty. That's real. That's not spin... And when the manager tells you in distress that they have more people requesting food than ever before and they have to turn people away...thats real. I don't care what anyone's politics are....I can't in good conscience watch people starve when I have means via eggs, produce, and even chicken meat (when I get around to butchering).
Yes, It's sad but... I have tried donating veggies and fruit that I knew I could not store for later. Coupl'a churches operating food banks and a few other organizations that "help the needy". I could not get one organization to accept my donations, due to "liability issues". "Not grown by an approved facility". Ended up throwin away tree fruit and mowin and plowin under producing veggies. Oh well, at least I tried and ended up planting cover crops to help improve the soil in the garden. I do, however, give produce to people I know who are down on their luck and need help and appreciate it!

I would call that a bite. Also, a peck in which the :ducdoesn't let go. I had a cockerel that would clamp down, pull, and twist. He didn't last long.
Oooh, I am so sorry! I have scars on both fore arms from a nasty tempered rooster. I kept thinking ( mistakenly) that he’d settle down and quit being such a little s*** until he went for my face. That did it. Rocky went to freezer camp to become chicken broth.

1. Underwatering - I water the garden several times per week but I'm thinking maybe the cardboard is inhibiting the water actually getting to the plant. I pulled back some of the cardboard so water can get underneath. All these plants were doing awesome when it was raining consistently. We haven't had decent rain in a month with ridiculously hot temperatures. It coincides to when the plants started going downhill.
I had the same problem but with a thick mulch. I had a layer of leaves that I put down early in the season and watering did OK. But I got a load of chipped wood from a local tree surgeon and started having problems after laying down a thick (3-4") layer. Seems the wood chips would have to soak up as much water as possible before reaching the soil. I was watering as before but not much was getting to the soil. I installed soaker hoses under the mulch, in direct contact with the soil and now water once every 2-3 days as opposed to every day.

I had a speckled sussex roo who was like yours. at some point I sent him to a friend of mine who needed him for breeding. he has more room at her farm to wander around and never caused any problem to her. maybe this breed cannot be confined? I have 3 coops with runs, not much room for the wanderers.
The speckled Sussex we have prefer to forage. They will look for ways to escape the pen if given the chance. I love them, but keeping up with them is a pain!

I don’t think what my own eyes see when I go shopping is fake, but the reasons and such that the news gives may or not be. My husband is a commercial truck driving instructor/tester. The feds have it rather difficult for newbies to get a license. Even for the teachers to get a license to instruct! Plus they are made to teach maneuvers that will never be used in a commercial truck. So the maroons in charge have no clue, MSM feeds the public their kool aid.
I work in the private sector (security technology) but I have worked with the feds & military not only in the US but just about every major developed country on the globe. The crap & shady business that is going on this past decade is not isolated to the US.... So believe me when I say I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND what you are referring to in regards to the feds making things "difficult" or more complicated than they need to be....

Back
Top Bottom