What did you do in the garden today?

I finally figured out how to take the string off my chicken feed bags without cutting. I looked closely at the end of the string on the top and bottom of the bag and noticed that string end is tied into multiple knots on the bottom, but there is one end on top that can be pulled off...............Who would have thought they made them that way?

my mother taught me that, lol.

Since owning my own non-caged, free ranging chickens who get lots of room to roam and are spoiled rotten so they produce rich, healthy, wonderful eggs, I cannot eat store bought eggs anymore. That also means I can't eat breakfast at a restaurant because they all use store bought eggs. They are just pale, nasty, flavorless snot. It turns my stomach just to look at commercial eggs.

x2

a few years ago I bought 2 kg (about 4 lb) of chicken thighs on sale. my dogs had a party and my house got frozen from open doors and windows in winter. I could not stand that nasty smell.

Since owning my own non-caged, free ranging chickens who get lots of room to roam and are spoiled rotten so they produce rich, healthy, wonderful eggs, I cannot eat store bought eggs anymore. That also means I can't eat breakfast at a restaurant because they all use store bought eggs. They are just pale, nasty, flavorless snot. It turns my stomach just to look at commercial eggs.
:highfive: Me too! Some people say they can’t taste the difference, but our fresh eggs taste so much better than anything in the store.

it does not look like butternut squash. they put wrong seed or it got pollinated by another variety.
No, it's the correct seed. That's what Rogosa Violina Gioia is supposed to look like. I was just kidding about the acne. And cross-pollination wouldn't effect the current season's fruit, only any plants that came from the seeds produced by the fruit.

Good morning all. It’s Friday and I’m ready for this week to be over! Had a disagreement with my mother earlier this week so I’m not speaking to her for a while. Frank has been a like a spoiled 2 year old this week, I swear it’s like having a human toddler! I did get the grass watered this morning and checked the little lilac. It seems much happier in the shade garden for sure. I checked on soil testing here, holy cow it’s expensive! I’m going to have to think about that a bit, but I think it would be beneficial to get a pro analysis so I can amend as needed. I have areas with wood mulch and others with straw, wonder if I’ll need separate testing. Anyway, got the shade for feeding station yesterday so hubs has that as a project today and feeding the lemon tree. I have work, better get ready. Have a great day!

Last edited:
My 🍅 are turning ever so

S
L
O

W

L
Y

Driving me nuts! I want one sooooo badly!
Mine too---so many green but so little red.

Picked some peas this morning before work, don't need to water until tomorrow, should do some weeding and add some pine needles for mulch, potato flowers are starting to die, and I have baby green beans.

Happy Friday!!! Stay cool and get dirty

I had an egg from the store a while back that had the palest, most pathetic yolk I have ever seen. It was only a few shades of yellow off from being white. Blegh.

I gave the garden a heavy watering last night. Only problem was that the three year old heard me go outside and had a complete and utter meltdown. He woke the baby too. By the time I was done and back inside hubby was pacing with the baby, who was calming down but still red in the face, and DS was still worked up losing his mind until I went in and hugged him. The whole episode ended about half an hour later with the baby back asleep and DS passed out asleep on hubby in our room, and hubby snoring to shake the dust off the ceiling. What a mess. All for watering the garden and feeding the chickens.

No eggs yet, but they have hit the 18th week, and a couple of the ladies have bright red combs. I think the project this weekend will be setting up a couple of nest boxes and pulling enough grass for bedding.

Spaghetti squash is dead or dying at this point. Okra have bloomed and are putting on fruit. I need to start checking them two or three times a day to get them at the right size. Corn has taken a beating from the outdoor cats of things. Watermelon is stunted, but the plants are very healthy, so maybe I'll get a few. Kale looks like it's on its last leg. Mustard green has more flea beetles than I've ever seen on one plant before. Goodness. Potatoes are allllllmmmmossssstttttt ready. I'm debating cutting off watering for them at this point so they'll dry a bit and harvest nicely. I have a whopping four onion plants out of probably two dozen that I actually planted that are doing okay, but again, stunted. Mint and sage have pallets leaning up against the fence to give them more constant shade. They still get a tiny bit of direct sunlight, but probably less than and hour each day. So far they're quite happy with that, and I have made a mental note that palates create dappled shade. Very interesting. Might be some cinder blocks and pallets over young plants next year.

Back
Top Bottom