What did you do in the garden today?

Yesterday, I made myself go out and weed whack the weeds in the garden paths, and pull the weeds in the beds. I swear, these things laugh at me every time and then grow back stronger! I thinned almost everything that needed to be thinned, but I think I forgot a couple of spots (and gave up on the radishes, beets and carrots). Next year, I'll do proper spacing for radishes, beets, and carrots from the get go. This year, I basically sprinkled the seeds on the soil and massaged them in. Everything is really taking off, and bringing back the excitement of gardening (I lost it for a while there because I didn't have the brain space for it with the new puppy and being behind on everything). I should go take pictures.
Yes to pics! You know us, we love them!

Sometimes things are more important and bonding with a puppy would certainly take precedence for me to. So puppy pics are also welcome!

Those went into homemade ranch dressing
I was going to ask for the recipe but I see..
I've taken to making my own dressing lately & both DH & I like it better.
Me too!
Oooo! Post recipes? Here's the one for Ranch dressing.

1/2 cup mayo
1/2 sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp seasalt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup fresh snipped dill or 2 tsp dry
1/4 cup fresh chives or 2 tsp dry
1/4 cup fresh snipped parsley or 2 tsp dry

Mix all and store in the fridge.
You already posted it! Thank you! 😊

My go-to vinaigrette is 1 tbsp pure honey, juice of 1 lemon, splash of olive oil, splash of vinegar (either red or white wine or balsamic), plus minced garlic, whatever herbs we have either fresh or dried, and a tiny pinch of salt & pepper. In the fall I’ll replace honey w maple syrup for maple flavored dressing!

Good morning all. The dogs have had their park play time and we’ve been working in the chicken yard since then. It’s muggy and gross out there so I came in to cool off. We got the shade attached to the feeding area, I got 90% shade and it really darkens the area quite a bit! I have a gravity feeder to put the OS in but it needs a repair first.
EA128954-4D39-491B-A65A-C449E4319F71.jpeg

I gave a couple of old chairs to the chickens so they can eat the leaves on the willow acacia and you can see they’ve been busy
A1909B6C-1B9F-4B5E-8701-493AD03ABA17.jpeg

Still a few more things to do out there before we’re done, better get back to work.

Spent two hours this morning deep watering the garden, feeding the tomatoes with the magic pink water, and planting 4 of the 6 clones. Everything needed tied up AGAIN. I also found caterpillar frass on three plants, but I'll be darned if I could find the beasts. I hosed off the plants and I'll look again later/in the morning and follow the poo trails.

Irrigation in the lawn has now been turned on. I measured some cracks out there that are 1.5 inches wide and 14 inches deep. That won't do! HOPEFULLY we'll get some rain between now and Monday and priming the soil helps with runoff.

DH put one of the hens he thought was broody in prison last night. I went to spray her sunburned, featherless back, and we freaked out on me and used my hand as a runway, tore it up good the little dinosaur. She she's back in the coop today.

DS helped me band the look alike hens last night so I can better keep track of who keeps going to jail. He has the power to walk up to a hen and they just stand there and let him pick them up. :th With me, it's like a slapstick comedy chase with pie throwing at the end or me faceplanting in the mud.:lau

DS also announced he has found which apartment complex he wants to move into. So now he's all excited. I'm happy and excited for him and his next stage of life, but this is worse than sending them off to kindergarten. He also landed his dream career job this week. So HUGE milestones met this week.

I just finished making a double batch of butter. I decided to use the 1 cup round storage containers instead of the bar mold. It was so much easier and quicker. I was also able to see the actual quantity of butter I was getting from the cream. My homemade butter is costing about $1.45 per cup. That includes the cost of the canola oil I add to make it easier to spread. Then there’s the leftover 3 to 4 cups of the sweet buttermilk that I use to make biscuits with. We got only .1 inch of rain this morning. Hoping for more later. It’s too wet to do any weed whacking or mowing, so I’ll just continue doing indoor chores.

I just finished making a double batch of butter. I decided to use the 1 cup round storage containers instead of the bar mold. It was so much easier and quicker. I was also able to see the actual quantity of butter I was getting from the cream. My homemade butter is costing about $1.45 per cup. That includes the cost of the canola oil I add to make it easier to spread. Then there’s the leftover 3 to 4 cups of the sweet buttermilk that I use to make biscuits with. We got only .1 inch of rain this morning. Hoping for more later. It’s too wet to do any weed whacking or mowing, so I’ll just continue doing indoor chores.
There’s nothing like homemade butter! On fresh, homemade bread still warm from the oven :drool One of my fondest memories of cooking with my mom.

Harvested All the Early Italian Garlic
Sweet!

What I dont understand is why they skip a few nights...then come back with a vengeance!
They filled up the first time but slept off that banquet and got hungry?

If they are only held on by the tension of the twine it would make clean up a breeze in the fall.
I don't know about where you live but that "breeze" here would be the wind that blows the unsecured top pieces off taking the beans down with them.

I won't be getting much done today at all, except having a great time visiting our best friends. Weed can -- and will! -- wait. And grow, unfortunately.
If they were VERY good best friends they would help you weed ;)

Some critter chewed the bottom of my JB trap to get to the beetles.
Are you sure that "critter" wasn't the Japanese Beetles in the bag? They will eat through the bottom of the bag. My traps are actually metal cans with holes in the sides. No JB gets out on its own.

I need to figure out where to put my mole trap in the garden (after I've oiled it). I brought it up to the porch with the lock on as a reminder, and, of course, the pupper wanted to pull off the orange ribbon, knocked it over, it went off, and flung about 3 feet into the air. Sooo.... I won't ever let her get that close again.
Pictures!

The dumb weeds:
8F326153-18E3-45BB-8976-19600FBEBB1F.jpeg

Strawberry and asparagus bed:
B4E46605-E8B4-462C-8977-B8520FE61637.jpeg

Tomatoes, one hot pepper, summer squash, sweet peppers, cucumbers:
DD394C1D-971A-4E1E-B8B3-8FDFCFACD439.jpeg

Ananas melon (3 plants on each small side, weeds everywhere else):

20AE78EC-F2E4-4363-97BF-1EEA4B060DE1.jpeg

Potatoes:
FDB0E0F4-A6CB-4DC0-8178-FF822206AAF3.jpeg

Peas, radishes, beets, and carrots:

6CF2429E-1DD2-4C7E-A9DA-C93C8E6AF328.jpeg

Pumpkin, potatoes on the right:

759378C3-0EC3-4893-B22C-E296EE83D02F.jpeg

Sugar baby watermelon, potatoes (they might be dead) on the right:
B6F5127B-C029-4585-A19C-9CAFEC06507A.jpeg

Yellow watermelon, potatoes on the right:
D1BD8CD3-DF9E-4B9C-BD3F-5560D21C949B.jpeg

Herbs and greens bed (cilantro, basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, chives, sage, cippolini onion from old seed so only 2 are growing, Tom Thumb lettuce, oak leaf lettuce, spinach, cabbage):
FA1052F6-EB14-442E-A343-C1E365879DB4.jpeg

Butternut squash, corn, green beans:
32376E08-9491-4A2A-8E77-38D26F531D63.jpeg

Tomatoes:
D6E7861C-7D44-4F73-84EA-D7C8DDECD826.jpeg

Puppy (now 6 months old):
8F3E5972-6C8F-48B8-A1CD-7B7B5B6C1507.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom