What did you do in the garden today?

Most home gardeners don't put down enough nitrogen on their corn. Corn is a HUGE nitrogen suck. Without it, corn doesn't grow properly, set right, or taste up to snuff.

The other common reason is waiting too long after picking until cooking, but honestly, I've only ever noticed a problem when you are talking a few days between picking and cooking.
That could be it... I think the corn sat on the counter for 2-3 days before we ate it. Didn't intend for that to happen but dinner plans got rearranged.

Maybe I will try to pick more tomorrow and cook it immediately just to see if it's better....

Most home gardeners don't put down enough nitrogen on their corn. Corn is a HUGE nitrogen suck. Without it, corn doesn't grow properly, set right, or taste up to snuff.
Oh, wanted to add that my corn grew really well at first and then petered out. The stalks only got about 5 ft high... Cobs are probably around 5" on average... Not at all what I was hoping for...

I'm sure it's probably due to the nitrogen. I did put down a LOT of compost before planting. I also side dressed with Ammonium nitrate about a month ago. Clearly wasn't enough....

I am trying cooked egg yolk, sugar, boric acid and a little water for ant bait. I saw it on a YouTube video. The host used 2 egg yolk, 1tsp boric acid and 1tsp honey with the idea not to make it too strong with boric acid because he doesn't want the ants to die right away, he want the ants to carry it back to the queen ant to kill the colony. He pointed out that the ants can smell the egg yolk. I will do a search to see if ants can smell?

Oh, my search say they can smell food....................so this ant bait should be irresistible to them.

I don't know if they can smell cooked egg yolk but I saw how they cleared all the yolk crumbles my chickens left.

Oh, wanted to add that my corn grew really well at first and then petered out. The stalks only got about 5 ft high... Cobs are probably around 5" on average... Not at all what I was hoping for...

I'm sure it's probably due to the nitrogen. I did put down a LOT of compost before planting. I also side dressed with Ammonium nitrate about a month ago. Clearly wasn't enough....

does heat play any role? here everything stops growing in july.

I started a few tomato seeds, principe borghese (san marzano family) and campbell 33. no idea what they are but I wanted determinate varieties for late planting. I picked up a few money maker tomatoes. I grow them first time and I am disappointed with their way too thick skin.

A July 4th dinner a day late, because we wanted to wait until out granddaughter was here for her weekly sleepover. I forgot to take pics before the meal so here are the leftovers. Two types of sweet corn from the garden (Peachs & Cream, Silver King).
View attachment 3175511
Adirondack Blue potatoes from the garden.
View attachment 3175513
Ribeyes (not from the garden).
View attachment 3175516
And for dessert, a Sugar Baby watermelon...from the garden.
View attachment 3175523
Yummy! Everything looks great!

That could be it... I think the corn sat on the counter for 2-3 days before we ate it. Didn't intend for that to happen but dinner plans got rearranged.

Maybe I will try to pick more tomorrow and cook it immediately just to see if it's better....
The sitting on the counter is probably what did it. If the varieties were not one of the super sugar enhanced ones you have less then a day at room temp or a few in the fridge before it starts turning starchy.

I like to cook mine in the husks, whether soaked and grilled or microwaved real quick. It makes it easier to peel and I think dosent wash the flavor out like boiling can.

Another night of rain. More on the way today.

New pest discovered: Asparagus beetle! Whaaat? No one near me has asparagus at all. We only just planted a few months ago. My asparagus patch is small.

So, I’m taking precautions to keep SVB away. I visited a friend yesterday that has a garden (and has for a few years). She lives about 8-10 miles away as the crow flies. She has a few enormous zucchini plants and a few other squash. Not a single bit of evidence of SVB! Good for her. But, last year the SVB really impacted our crops of squash! Ah, so much variability!

The "problem" I see with parasitic wasps is that while they keep the caterpillar from becoming a source for future caterpillars, they have already decimated the plants before they die.
I had tons of both hornworms and parasitic wasps last year...this is very accurate description of what a mess I had too!

Idk if it is the constant pruning I am doing this year or the companion basil planting in front of the tomatoes but i have yet to see either! Thank You Lord!!!

Back
Top Bottom