What did you do in the garden today?

Morning.

@Acre4Me it's generally a few weeks from scapes to harvest. I'm at 3 I think & I may pull them this weekend if I have time.

It rained a teeeeny bit last night, just enough to moisten the ground so I could give everything a good watering this am. & pollinated a ton of cukes. No female squash still, I'm getting impatient so I'm headed back out to sow some bush squash in the soft neck garlic bed.

My onions are looking so good, shouldn't be too long till harvest now!

I managed to sneak down to the garden for a few minutes to at least water my blueberries that are still in pots. All of my zucchini has stopped putting off female flowers. Although the plants (except 1)are big and lush dark green, I'm betting they are stressed from the heat and lack of rain. I don't think my few minutes of watering from the hose is doing much for them to keep them productive.

Next year I'm definitely putting up a shade cloth!

Also, my zucchini & cucumber chips are a fail. They shrunk down to nothing but are still a little rubbery. Taste is unpleasant. Chucking them all...

I managed to sneak down to the garden for a few minutes to at least water my blueberries that are still in pots. All of my zucchini has stopped putting off female flowers. Although the plants (except 1)are big and lush dark green, I'm betting they are stressed from the heat and lack of rain. I don't think my few minutes of watering from the hose is doing much for them to keep them productive.

Also, my zucchini & cucumber chips are a fail. They shrunk down to nothing but are still a little rubbery. Taste is unpleasant. Chucking them all...
Glad u got to go water!
I wondered how the chips were...I hate they didn't turn out well.
I'm wondering if the heat is causing stuff to halt...tomatoes aren't turning. Nearly everything I grew from seed is like stunted.
BUT...I didn't get the grow lights in time for any of it either. So could be double whammy for my stuff.
Then add drought on top of that....6 weeks and we barely have had an inch of rain.
Thankful for what I have though! And this little cutie...waiting on 13 more to get on with it lol!

Attachments

• IMG_20220706_070348_813.jpg
    IMG_20220706_070348_813.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 2

I didn’t like zucchini chips either, but tomato chips are so good! Romas are good for that, sprinkle with some salt if you like. I’ve powdered some basil and sprinkled that on before too.

Glad u got to go water!
I wondered how the chips were...I hate they didn't turn out well.
I'm wondering if the heat is causing stuff to halt...tomatoes aren't turning. Nearly everything I grew from seed is like stunted.
BUT...I didn't get the grow lights in time for any of it either. So could be double whammy for my stuff.
Then add drought on top of that....6 weeks and we barely have had an inch of rain.
Thankful for what I have though! And this little cutie...waiting on 13 more to get on with it lol!
Yeah neighbor, I'm in the same boat... Tomatoes aren't turning here either. I have 2 Sart Roloise that are huge in size but have been green for nearly 2 weeks and not ripening like they should. I'm tempted to pull them and see if they will ripen on the counter.

Yeah neighbor, I'm in the same boat... Tomatoes aren't turning here either. I have 2 Sart Roloise that are huge in size but have been green for nearly 2 weeks and not ripening like they should. I'm tempted to pull them and see if they will ripen on the counter.
If ya do let me know k! Lol

Any chance you can take the kid out with you when you water? Stroller or pac-n-play?
Sorry about the chips. How thick were the slices? My immediate thoughts are super thin 1-2 on a mandolin and salt them on the trays to pull out more water, but I havent tried them yet.

Sounds like they aren't the same variety then! Same name, different tomato.

I was going to guess deer since that is what eats ours. They only like the variegated ones for some reason.

Dang, we missed it! Though May 6 could be some seriously cold gardening here. Shrinkage could be a problem!

That doesn't sound like deer.

Sensory overload, probably couldn't make out either!

You need a hybrid, better yet a plug in hybrid. You would have wasted zero gas. Or an electric car, you would have USED zero gas.

Nice looking fence. The deer see that and say :lau :gig
Then they say :celebrate:weeand hop over. 7' is usually considered necessary to keep deer out.

NO! They all came up, there are only 2 left. Still on their first leaves. One is a pickling cuke, the other is a Suyo Long. I didn't have any more seeds for pickling to I put in all SL. I'll see if these come up AND don't disappear.

Maybe where YOU are! Tomatoes here don't even get put in the ground until the end of May. By the time you got suckers big enough to root there wouldn't be enough time for them to set fruit before frost.
Zone 6A, May 25th in the ground this year.

If the tomato’s are turning “white” on the shoulders, then yes, you should have success ripe i g them in the counter. But if still solidly green, I don’t think they have begun to ripen at all and may not ripen well on the counter.

Back
Top Bottom