What did you do in the garden today?

This has been an odd gardening day. I have a chicken named Henny penny... she is a favorite because she was poorly as a chick, and then beat up when slightly older(she 9-10 ish weeks now)...so we are kinda buddies I guess. Anyway I have a gigantic straw gardening hat (36 inch brim) I wore it today because I'm on meds...and there I am minding my buisness picking zucchini and peppers and BAM! 3 or 4 pound Rhode island red Henny lands on my hat 🤣 I wasn't expecting a chicken interested in gardening...she got a small cucumber for her efforts.

Last edited:
I never plant pickling cucumbers . Just use slicers smaller . If you are a fan of short chunky dill picklers then yes plant picklers . We like bread and butter picklers and slicers are just fine .
That's what we prefer as well.
There's only a million ways to do something (not necessarily the right or best way) not to mention tons of varieties of everything these days.
I just didn't wanna say anything to her but also wandered if I was wasting my time pickling em...2½ gallons later! Lol

That's what we prefer as well.
There's only a million ways to do something (not necessarily the right or best way) not to mention tons of varieties of everything these days.
I just didn't wanna say anything to her but also wandered if I was wasting my time pickling em...2½ gallons later! Lol
Two gallons woooo that's a bunch of pickles.

Been busy busy All week so far. Was back in my arm brace for a few days, cut way down on what I was able to do. Just had a few min to peek over the fence at the garden, weeding needs to happen.
Badly. Spotted a few JB on the raspberries, got them in a bucket.
Took tomorrow off from work to get the CX butchered. Hopefully will done by noon. If I I'm not too worn out from that, there is a list of things to get done. Will try to get garden update pics.
Has anyone here used chicken blood in the garden? I know to dilute it heavily but not sure I want to risk the smell.

Oh! And there is still at least 1 groundhog making its pressence known. Havent caught it in the garden yet, but saw it in my potato patch. Time to go hunting again. 🤫

Back
Top Bottom