What did you do in the garden today?

My garden paths are UNDER WATER (hilled rows planted). 😳 It was raining sheets at 5:30 when I woke up, so the chickens had to wait to be let out & eat. After an on & off drizzle for most of the day yesterday, the current light rain is supposed to stop around 9. No rain in the forecast again for about a week, which is ok because the high is only around 80 in that time frame. Maybe I will get some canning done! Wonder how long it will take to soak in (guessing not long).

Hopefully this means my lettuce will sprout now that the temps have dipped a bit. I’ll take 70-80 for another few months, please!

Hope the rest of you waiting for rain are getting some!

Those of you that are canning now, do you have A/C? No way I’m canning in Upper NY when it’s been 90 and humid for a straight week…I’m dreading boiling water for sweet corn tonight. We haven’t had a summer like this in about 10 years. I’m going to keep my paste tomatoes frozen until September and then can at this rate! 😂
Need an outdoor kitchen Soo bad to do any major canning in the summer. I cheat with small batch waterbath canning with my instant pot, but it only hold 4-5 pints.

It's lovely this morning! 75 degrees high of 86! Not too terrible, and I'm pretty thankful it's not too hot because the upstairs ac blew something last night and now will need parts oye!

It rained so hard last night it woke me up! Super windy and hard rain I thought tornado? Nope just a wall of water...which is good but idk if my flowers were super happy about it because they are all laid down now...its past their season anyway so oh well. I've gotta get this little dude outside before it pours more out and he gets grumpy! Have a great one

Last edited:
No rain overnight. There's a nice sized system in eastern Oklahoma. Hopefully it will come through this afternoon but I'm not holding my breath. I did water everything in a container this morning. I need to get something to act as a water reservoir for the grow bag. Tomatoes getting really droopy and unhappy without it.

Noticed one of the 2-3 week old chicks has gone missing. Then while feeding this morning, a hawk swooped over the run and made everyone scatter in panic. Guess I know what happened to the chick... My run is covered with netting so they should generally be safe but this means no free ranging for a while and that's gonna make them mighty unhappy.

It rained last night!! Not a ton, but a good general soak for the garden.

I definitely have some THW (tomato hornworm), but I cannot find them. I’ve been looking for 3 days….black light tonight and Bt spray after that if I’m not successful.

STILL killing JBs. :he
Ya. Me too, on the hornworms. I'm finding small frass and holes, but I only found one worm yesterday and it was only about an inch long and green. I'd never have found that with the black light/uv light.
Nothing going on out there today.

Since the seal of the new Ball lids don’t dent in like the old ones, I’m sure I’ve accidentally reused lids.
I saw that even if you are nervous to reuse lids, you should reuse them for pressure canning water. Canning water fills in empty spaces, but it’s also good for fish tanks, eye rinse, nasal rinse, baby formula, or if an emergency strikes.
Anyway…I canned water in 2019, and all of the lids sealed, and were fine when I used the last seven or so jars in June.

Back
Top Bottom