What did you do in the garden today?

I picked tomatoes today. I'll be canning 7 quarts tomorrow. Here's one of the Hungarian Heart tomatoes, admittedly a "bragging sized" one.
IMG_E2693.JPG

It weighs 1 pound, 4.6 oz. There are more on the table that are almost as big and several that are at least 10-12 ounces. I will definitely grow these again next year!

I picked tomatoes today. I'll be canning 7 quarts tomorrow. Here's one of the Hungarian Heart tomatoes, admittedly a "bragging sized" one.
View attachment 3217539
It weighs 1 pound, 4.6 oz. There are more on the table that are almost as big and several that are at least 10-12 ounces. I will definitely grow these again next year!

That is a grapefruit that you painted to look like a tomato, be honest. Lol!
Seriously awesome though! We finally got some big mater's this year thanks to the shade cloth but I think yours still outweighs our biggest!

View attachment 3217539
🤤

Looks like fly maggots of some kind. Beyond that, no clue. And probably okay for your chooks. Hell, my girls eat anything that isn't nailed down and some things that are. :p
Thanks!

Garden was super wet from the rain, so I only picked a few beans and got out. Once it’s a bit drier I need to tie up tomatoes (AGAIN!) and do some weeding.

I just went out and watered the sandy soil garden. The "rain" was about 1/8" all told. Sigh.

I'll be picking some more tomatoes tomorrow, and probably canning Thursday...? It would be really nice to be able to can a batch, wait a few day, can another batch. And maybe buy half a bushel/whole bushel later in the season to fill up the pantry.

Does anyone have any tricks for making peaches on the counter ripen faster?
I put mine in a paper bag on the counter, and have heard that adding an apple will help them ripe faster.

I picked 2 yellow squash (one of course not having a straight neck and had a tiny squash attached because it came from my plant that is producing the freaks) watermelon because there was some damage that wasn't there the last time I looked (and a mealworm-looking thing coming out of a hole). I cut it open, and I think I should have picked it a day or two or three earlier. I cut out the damage, and ate it. I do so love watermelon!
9737DFA9-EC0D-4C96-8E1B-8CF066334618.jpeg

Apparently, I forgot to take an actual picture of the inside. It is indeed yellow! I saved these seeds from a farmers' market watermelon at least 5 years ago, and I know they won't necessarily produce plants that resemble the parent plant/fruit.

I still can't believe I even got 2 onions growing from seeds packaged for 2014. Everything I have ever read says they are good for 1 year max. I didn't even save them anywhere special! They were in a cardboard or a wood box in the houses and apartments we lived in. Crazy! In fact, a good chunk of the plants growing now are from decently old seed.

I hope to sell my house in september :fl. I will have to finish my new house and build coops first. then I will have to bring some dirt and manure for my garden. I hope I will do my winter garden on time. onions, lettuce and peas are a must. in case I sell my house at the beginning of september I might plant some cucumbers, zucchini and beans as well. we don't have frost before the very end of december, sometimes around 20th january.

View attachment 3217539
That’s amazing Sally, wow!

View attachment 3217539
OMGeeze that is massive! Congratulations!

So just outta curiosity did you have to give it extra support to remain on vine til that ripe? I'm wandering if my tomato plants are too skinny cuz I didn't have the grow lights when raising them from seeds... mine are bout an inch in thickness...are yours more like 2" or so to be producing such beasts?!

View attachment 3217539
I showed this to hubs, he wants it for a BLT lol. One slice is big enough for the whole sandwich!

So just outta curiosity did you have to give it extra support to remain on vine til that ripe?
No extra support. In fact, I was sorry I didn't have a knife to cut the stems!

One thing about these that I did notice, though, they aren't way out on a limb, so to speak. They're in clusters, jammed in close. Some of them have weird indentations from the tomato cage or a stem.

Another variety I definitely will grow again is Italian Heirloom. They are almost as big as Hungarian Heart, but a more round shape.

Mortgage Lifter I might do again, but I'm not that impressed. I'm not sure if it's that one, or Wisconsin Chief that is doing all the cat-facing, but that's a "cross off the list" flaw for me. I have several on the table that are BIG, but with all the scarring in the skin, I won't get much out of them.

:idunno Hmmm... Off to ask google what causes that to happen. Maybe it's something in my soil? Anyone know?

Back
Top Bottom