What did you do in the garden today?

Well I attempted a fall garden today since I missed out on planting a spring one this year. Water issues and too many chicks! and the horribly hot year it's been I didn't miss much. I did put in tomatoes but blossoms only so far.
Planted spinach, chard, beets,lettuce and more beets in my wicking tubs today.
I did water glass my first batch of eggs today.

How I wish my chickens could help out in the garden... Mine is currently being swarmed by squash bugs, ants, and baby grasshoppers. The ants are so bad that I can't water some of my raised beds because they will attack me as soon as I try to open the lid to the water reservoir. I really need to take some Borax down there....

you can carry 2 chickens to your garden. they are not heavy, lol.

I have 3 freezers full of food, a huge pantry stocked, 5 or 6 5-gallon buckets, and at least 4-5 boxes full of canned, bottled, and packaged food. That's not including things I personally can or waterglassed eggs.

Then today something dawned on me..... If my house was bombed, my entire food supply would be gone. I have everything stored here at my house. I really need to diversify. 😂 I wonder if my mom would let me put stuff in her spare bedroom closet.... 🤔

I plan to dig a hole and build a sort of small bunker storage space (sort of big box) for food. if anyone comes to my house to steal they will not know where I keep food. we need secret compartments.

I’ve been out of town for 4 days. I picked all the tomatoes with any color to them before we left. When we got home I went out with a flashlight and harvested a LOT more! The deer found my cantaloupe before I picked it. 😞
A69BC996-17FB-473D-8AC3-4F354A666EC0.jpeg

They did leave me some seeds to save. 🤣
There was another cantaloupe but something hot to it too but not as bad.
A6A80573-B6D7-446B-A874-6DF0576C6D3A.jpeg

I’m going to see if I can cut away enough of it to feel okay eating what’s left. 🤷‍♀️
Other than that I got a handful of green beans, a cucumber and bunch of cherry tomatoes( a hat full!); about 30 Roma & San Marzanos and about 8 slicers including 2 golden ones.

Yall help! I tried to give away bout 7 lb cucumbers and unable to...sure wish we all were closer to each other so we could share!
I have to figure out what to do with these cucumbers and about a dozen tomatoes (all different kinds n sizes) before in the morning!
any suggestions?!
and woke up to a puddle from our refrigerator again and we leave tomorrow for a week!!!
Ugh

Yall help! I tried to give away bout 7 lb cucumbers and unable to...sure wish we all were closer to each other so we could share!
I have to figure out what to do with these cucumbers and about a dozen tomatoes (all different kinds n sizes) before in the morning!
any suggestions?!
and woke up to a puddle from our refrigerator again and we leave tomorrow for a week!!!
Ugh
Good luck…..I’ve had similar issues with more tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers ripening than we can pick/put up. Refrigerator ….. check seals and anything that could’ve kept door from closing properly and also any waterlines if ice maker. That’s a couple issues I’ve seen with mysterious puddles. :fl You find a way to extend its life at least another couple weeks

Back
Top Bottom