What did you do in the garden today?

How it's tagged makes a difference.

If it says 'expiration' or 'use by' that typically means you should not eat it after that date due to the potential of bad bacteria which could make you sick.
We tried some yogurt which was 6 months past its sell by date, a few weeks ago... it didn't taste any different from fresh.

Oh btw, does anyone know why they put a use by date on honey? :idunno
The only problem is honey is often marked 'use by but it doesn't go bad...ever...unless contaminated or mixed with other things(butter is a common one)
Honey with "use by" is usually when (if real honey) it will crystallize. Otherwise it's a telltale sign of fake honey. If you want to know if your honey is real get sink warm/hot water. Put honey in the bottom of your cup and then pour the water over it....if the honey mixes in immediately not real, if you really gotta stir it real honey.
Also anything with ferment is gonna be good way past expiration date.usually smell let's you know good or not

Good afternoon gardeners. Picked more cherry tomatoes this morning and another SM tomato. I planted lettuce and radishes in with the SM tomatoes. That’s it for planting. I’ve got enough cherry tomatoes on hand to make cherry tomato and corn salsa. That’s planned for Sunday. The front yard was getting a little raggedy so I mowed it all. Still need to do a little weed whacking out there. The backyard needs a little mowing as well. I can’t remember the last time I mowed the back. Then the side slope hasn’t been done in a long while. No rain in the forecast so I’ll need to start watering again. The good news is that the cooler temperatures helps the watering last a little longer. I still have a lot of tomatoes that are on their way to ripening but I see very few new flowers on them other than the cherry tomatoes. So I’m guessing the last heat wave has definitely put a dent in the tomato harvest. I’ll still have a good amount for canning. Things could be worse.

The only problem is honey is often marked 'use by but it doesn't go bad...ever...unless contaminated or mixed with other things(butter is a common one)
Honey with "use by" is usually when (if real honey) it will crystallize. Otherwise it's a telltale sign of fake honey. If you want to know if your honey is real get sink warm/hot water. Put honey in the bottom of your cup and then pour the water over it....if the honey mixes in immediately not real, if you really gotta stir it real honey.
Also anything with ferment is gonna be good way past expiration date.usually smell let's you know good or not
It did smell good before trying.

I think that everything has to have a use by date, over here. Honey kind of makes a mockery of that - it doesn't go unnoticed though, I'm not the only one who sees it;

It did smell good before trying.

I think that everything has to have a use by date, over here. Honey kind of makes a mockery of that - it doesn't go unnoticed though, I'm not the only one who sees it;
I know for a while in the U.S (idk if Europe had this issue) there were massive commercial honey companies cutting their honey with corn syrup. There was also a good bit coming over from China that was called "golden honey" its was 30% honey. The late 90s early 2000's were a mess in the honey world. Idk how often they find fake honey now but it's not as severe an issue as it was.

I know for a while in the U.S (idk if Europe had this issue) there were massive commercial honey companies cutting their honey with corn syrup. There was also a good bit coming over from China that was called "golden honey" its was 30% honey. The late 90s early 2000's were a mess in the honey world. Idk how often they find fake honey now but it's not as severe an issue as it was.
I've heard there's still a bit of fake honey around here. I keep away from the squeezy plastic bottles and anything too cheap and tacky looking.

I've heard that some companies give their bees a sugar solution throughout the year (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is usually given to bees just over the winter months, to keep the hive going?) to increase the amount of honey made.

I remember those reports about honey. As I recall, wasn't it honey sold at Walmart that was primarily the issue? Now I always buy honey local to the state I live in. Has to be a product of the state, have an in state address, and the website better look good too! We go through 3-4 pounds per month.
There are a few home producers here so, it's easy to buy genuine honey, if you make the effort.

I use around half of the amount you do. I only use it in green tea, but I do drink quite a lot.

Honey does not go bad, ever. They have literally gotten honey out of the pyramids and sampled it and it was good. It may crystalize over time but it won't go bad. If it's mixed with garbage THAT may go bad but honey will not.

The use by thing is an FDA requirement, all food items has to be labeled. As for yoghurts, cottage cheese, all that stuff. Just because it's past it's date does not mean it is bad. Use your schnoozer and give it the smell test. Ive eaten sour cream months past it's date, it was in a very good fridge tho, like 34 to 35 degrees in there, eggs, a long time. Just be careful on meats. Poultry / Pork will do you very bad if it's got bacteria going. It won't kill you but trust me, you'll wish it did when that sets in your gut. Also as an extra precaution if you are going to be eating meats / stuff that might be a bit past it's prime, make sure it's WELL cooked. If it's cooked properly, while the taste may be off a bit, you will have killed off all the Salmonela and other creepie crawlies that was in it.

Aaron

I've heard there's still a bit of fake honey around here. I keep away from the squeezy plastic bottles and anything too cheap and tacky looking.

I've heard that some companies give their bees a sugar solution throughout the year (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is usually given to bees just over the winter months, to keep the hive going?) to increase the amount of honey made.
You can feed the bees sugar water to keep them alive over the winter yes. They can make honey out of it yes but it's not very good honey. granted sugar is sugar but it won't have all the nuances and other flavors and other stuff genuine nectar will. Most places will mix their honey with other crap to stretch it. As an FYI if you have allergies etc, look up a local apiary and get some local honey from the beekeeper, it has been shown to help with allergies, because it's made from the stuff all around you, that you are allergic to and can help you make antibodies to the allergens.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom