What did you do in the garden today?

I've heard there's still a bit of fake honey around here. I keep away from the squeezy plastic bottles and anything too cheap and tacky looking.

I've heard that some companies give their bees a sugar solution throughout the year (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is usually given to bees just over the winter months, to keep the hive going?) to increase the amount of honey made.
I have bees for my own honey . I do not do sugar feeding except in a emergency . I leave enough honey to feed them through the winter . I consider sugar a poor substitute for honey for the bees . I understand why sugar is fed . Trying to maximize income . Taking the honey and feeding sugar . After all sugar is cheeper than honey . I want my honey raw unfiltered . It goes through a fine mesh screen to remove bits of wax .

I have bees for my own honey . I do not do sugar feeding except in a emergency . I leave enough honey to feed them through the winter . I consider sugar a poor substitute for honey for the bees . I understand why sugar is fed . Trying to maximize income . Taking the honey and feeding sugar . After all sugar is cheeper than honey . I want my honey raw unfiltered . It goes through a fine mesh screen to remove bits of wax .
Wish I could, but they’re at risk of being Africanized down here.

I know for a while in the U.S (idk if Europe had this issue) there were massive commercial honey companies cutting their honey with corn syrup. There was also a good bit coming over from China that was called "golden honey" its was 30% honey. The late 90s early 2000's were a mess in the honey world. Idk how often they find fake honey now but it's not as severe an issue as it was.
I can't even remember the last time I bought commercial honey....easily over a decade ago. I have bought local honey for at least as long as I've lived in Arkansas which has been over 20 years.

I *really* like Manuka honey. You can buy it from various places online but it's really expensive. I have a friend (American transplant) who lives in New Zealand. I even tried to get them to send me some....it's STILL super expensive plus you have to be concerned that Customs will confiscate it.

Wish I could, but they’re at risk of being Africanized down here.
A few years ago we visited Tombstone while driving across the country. There's a shop there called "Killer Bees" who sells all kinds of honey and honey mixes (https://killerbeeguy.com/). It all comes from Killer Bees. It was actually pretty amazing. I think I bought 6 or 7 jars of different types, but the one that stands out in my mind was a Wild Desert honey. The guy explained that there's some flower in the desert that only blooms rarely and that honey comes from the killer bees collecting pollen from that flower. It's pretty incredible. My favorites were the Blueberry Creme, Almond Butter, and Wild Desert.

I got the Christmas cactus and the pothos planted this afternoon. There are some ominous looking clouds around and storms are supposed roll in so nothing happening outside. I’m currently obsessed with bonsai videos. I found some by a guy in the UK who teaches classes apparently. I think I’ll have a nap before dinner, was up at 0230. Have a good night all

A few years ago we visited Tombstone while driving across the country. There's a shop there called "Killer Bees" who sells all kinds of honey and honey mixes (https://killerbeeguy.com/). It all comes from Killer Bees. It was actually pretty amazing. I think I bought 6 or 7 jars of different types, but the one that stands out in my mind was a Wild Desert honey. The guy explained that there's some flower in the desert that only blooms rarely and that honey comes from the killer bees collecting pollen from that flower. It's pretty incredible. My favorites were the Blueberry Creme, Almond Butter, and Wild Desert.
Wild desert honey is definitely delisherous. There’s a local that sells it at a stand on the side of the road near where my husband works. It’s the best in flavor we’ve found around the valley so have been repeat customers for many years.

Back
Top Bottom