What did you do in the garden today?

I bought a shiitake mushroom log about 3 or 4 years ago from Gurneys. It finally produced a single tiny mushroom on it this summer.

I've thought about making my own but I haven't had time to do it.

Wow that's pretty disappointing! Mine took a couple weeks I think? It was really fast but they were oyster mushrooms.

I have a growing interest in mushrooms. I grew some from a box and it was really easy. I did find out that there is apparently someone local that grows mushrooms commercially and I'm tempted to see if he will reveal his secrets to me. Lol
There is a company called North spore...and another one...oh I'll have to look them up again it's like fruit of the forest(something like that) and they both do some seriously cool kits! I've been looking into adding wine cap mushroom into my compost layer under my tomatoes next year. Apparently they (wine caps) are also carnivores and eat nematodes which I thought was interesting. I figured I already use mycelium cast off in my compost.. may as well get some more edible foods from it too!

There is a company called North spore...and another one...oh I'll have to look them up again it's like fruit of the forest(something like that) and they both do some seriously cool kits! I've been looking into adding wine cap mushroom into my compost layer under my tomatoes next year. Apparently they (wine caps) are also carnivores and eat nematodes which I thought was interesting. I figured I already use mycelium cast off in my compost.. may as well get some more edible foods from it too!

Mine was from back to the roots. Fairly inexpensive if you're just wanting to try it out before getting fancy stuff, lol.

I bought a shiitake mushroom log about 3 or 4 years ago from Gurneys. It finally produced a single tiny mushroom on it this summer.

I've thought about making my own but I haven't had time to do it.
Shitakes are finicky...or so I've read. I kinda wanna fall down the mushroom rabbit hole so to speak because besides enjoying eating them I have a quirky experimental brain that wants to build a morel bed(grow bed not sleep bed though may be comfy)

Shitakes are finicky...or so I've read. I kinda wanna fall down the mushroom rabbit hole so to speak because besides enjoying eating them I have a quirky experimental brain that wants to build a morel bed(grow bed not sleep bed though may be comfy)
Morels are like hitting the lottery. Notoriously difficult to grow which is why no one (to my knowledge) does it commercially. If you figure it out, I'd LOVE to know the secret.

I didn't pick the tiny mushroom that appeared on my log this summer. I was hoping it might respore a produce bigger ones next year...

You'll have to keep us updated if you do it! Everything I looked at other than the little oyster mushroom boxes was really expensive (at least in my opinion). Like I couldn't figure out how to keep them reproducing themselves to where it would be worth the investment. Hence my desire to pick the brain of the commercial grower! If I remember what the lady I was talking to said, he pays to dispose of his spent mushroom dirt and I'm also really tempted to ask him about that. I need to get his info, lol.

Morels are like hitting the lottery. Notoriously difficult to grow which is why no one (to my knowledge) does it commercially. If you figure it out, I'd LOVE to know the secret.

I didn't pick the tiny mushroom that appeared on my log this summer. I was hoping it might respore a produce bigger ones next year...

I vaguely remember them having a symbiotic relationship with a specific type of tree. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom