What did you do in the garden today?

Morels are like hitting the lottery. Notoriously difficult to grow which is why no one (to my knowledge) does it commercially. If you figure it out, I'd LOVE to know the secret.

I didn't pick the tiny mushroom that appeared on my log this summer. I was hoping it might respore a produce bigger ones next year...
It's my long term project...I have a dead apple tree that I'm gonna use as the base and see what happens. Morels are the most stubborn finicky shroom out there. For some reason I'm very drawn to the possible failure lol!

You'll have to keep us updated if you do it! Everything I looked at other than the little oyster mushroom boxes was really expensive (at least in my opinion). Like I couldn't figure out how to keep them reproducing themselves to where it would be worth the investment. Hence my desire to pick the brain of the commercial grower! If I remember what the lady I was talking to said, he pays to dispose of his spent mushroom dirt and I'm also really tempted to ask him about that. I need to get his info, lol.
Oh my if you get a hold of some of that spent dirt...its ridiculously rich! Your garden will start speaking two languages 🤣. It's great mixed with some compost.

I drove out to friends place and picked up a couple of 18 month/2year old Icelandic Rooster. One only has one eye, but he's wonderful
I'll get pictures of Odin and Thor tomorrow. They're currently in a nice enclosure in the shop for a couple of days. Then I'll toss them in the coop and let them go girls gone wild. They need to figure out that's home and learn how far to wander.

You have clearly done more research on the subject than I have! Lol
Ive been curious about mushrooms since i was a kid.Then a few years back I watched Fantastic fungi....hooked it was over. Fungi are truly amazing. I circle back each year around this time to "should I get a kit and start?". Now I have a little adventurous kid who would probably be decently fascinated because he already hunts all things mushroom at 20 months old lol! (It's accidental but a Bolete is a bolete!)

Last edited:
I vaguely remember them having a symbiotic relationship with a specific type of tree. 🤔
Morels? Or Shiitake?

I've hunted morels for 25+ years. There are several tree species that provide favorable environment - ash & elm are the most common but I've found them around others too like cottonwood, oak, hickory, etc...

Back
Top Bottom